Opening a safe advise needed

I just purchased a property that comes with a safe. The safe is inside a closet and is very very heavy. Me and my wife both tried to move it and it shifted may be half an inch.

We do not have the combinations to open the safe, the previous owner is now in a nursing home and had a stroke two years ago and no longer remember anything. Her daughter told me she does not know the combinations either but she does not think there is anything in it.

Question is how would I open this safe? I am not sure whether I would use it or not, but the thing to do is to try and open it. I heard that a locksmith may be able t drill a hole and unlock from the inside, I suspect this is a very expensive process that may cost more than what the safe is worth. Any advise what I can do?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

I think that means you own the safe and its contents, depending upon how the sale was transacted. You should be absolutely sure of the answer to that question before proceeding further. If you bought the property but you didn't get the safe, you may have to go thru' a process to make the actual owner of the safe remove it from your property or transfer it to you properly.

Do you need a functional operational safe such that you would be able to assign a value to this one on the assumption it is empty ie has no other redeemable value? Think about what empty value that would be.

If you have no need for a functional operational safe, so that this safe is a 'space occupying [heavy] lesion' which is going to cost you some money to have hauled away, think about the value of recovering the space it occupies. How much would you pay to have that safespace belong to you?

Could you sell a functional operational safe like this one? For how much in its present location or somewhere else?

Do you have any interest in gambling some money to find out if there is anything of redeemable value inside the safe?

With those values in the equation, you might start working on what it would cost you to turn it into a functional operational safe, or to 'transfer' it to a safe company who could turn it into an operational safe at their cost and also more easily market it.

Here's a website with an inventory of used safes

See the current inventory of Used Safes in our showroom - Displaying 136 Items

Reply to
Mike Easter

another thing .. IS THERE ANY NAMES on the outside of the door? helps immensely in giving you an answer..

I got a 'burglary resistant, safe in my living room, awaiting me to install a new combo lock and couple of other pieces.. i paid $100 for it and 3 others, so will have about $150ish in it fixed.. NEW its a $500 item.. If I sell it for $250, will be happy..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Lift the safe with a pry bar jammed under one side or a hydraulic bottle jack under a hinge. Work ball bearings, steel rod or pipe under it and it will move.

People tend to write combos down. Look around for it.

I am not sure whether I would use

Call a locksmith local to you who does safe work and get an estimate. It may be less than you think, especially if you just want it open and not necessarily repaired.

Reply to
Steve

1 thing to ponder.. "you never know"

Opened one yesterday. supposed to be empty. had over $1700.00 in it. Customer was glad he paid the price. Didn't cost him a thing. the safe was free and he got change back...

Reply to
Roger Cann

I believe I owned the safe now. The safe itself is not "attached" to the property like a lighting fixture or a bookshelf which the contract stipulated that anything "attached" is considered part of the property.

The safe is not attached so it can be either way. I did bring up the fact that there is a safe to her daughter who executed the purchase on her father's behalf and she did not say she wanted to safe back, she did say they do not know the combinations and if there is anything valuable in it I would think she would have wanted it back.

Nonetheless, it's content, if any, is probably still properties of the original owner. But yes, I am curious. I think I can use the safe if it can be opened up. But I will not pay more than what the safe is worth just to make sure it's empty.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Damn that one is a first. Usually someone shows up with a safe that they are sure that it is full of gold dubloons or millions in bearer bonds or something and all that's inside is dust. They are so disapointed. Also when you present your bill they get disapointed again when you decline to drop your price due to the box being empty.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Believed is not the same as fact.

That is typical real property law.

Not attached is not 'either way'. Not attached is not attached. The safe is not attached.

That isn't the same as deeding or transferring the entire ownership of the safe to you.

It is nice that you have an amicable relationship, but you need to crystallize the business of your ownership of the safe and its contents.

In the same amicable way you have been conversing, you need to let the 'owner' of the safe know that it is not satisfactory for you to be housing a safe which belongs to her, and that since everyone is assuming that the safe is empty, it is your intention to make a proper disposition of it, which might include your transferring it to someone else, or it might include your paying your own personal money to acquire a means of opening it, and in any case you need to have ownership without question before you spend any more money or time on the issue.

Reply to
Mike Easter

... she should either provide you with a document transferring the ownership of the safe and its contents to you, or remove it from your property forthwith and immediately.

It would have been very smart to have this business about the safe resolved during the process of the sale of the property. I'm sure she would have been quite glad to transfer the ownership of a safe assumed to be non-openable and empty of value as a condition of the sale which surely involved some money.

Now you have an issue which is difficult to resolve. It isn't so easy to just take ownership of someone else's property just because it is on your properly. Especially something which is as heavy as a safe.

Reply to
Mike Easter

Yeah been there too! Most of the time this is the story. "But you never know" is a good selling point.. $250.00 is $250.00.. lol Roger

Reply to
Roger Cann

OK I think I have confirmed that there is nothing in it without opening it. I was able to move it out of the closet and with a friend's help we flipped it over on the side and upside down - did not hear a thing, nothing inside that shifted or moved so it is definitely empty.

The brand is FIRE FYTER. There is a plastic dial, a handle under it, then a keyhole under the handle.

It looks old, so I don't think this is a good safe, it is worth may be $50 the most?

I was able to get the serial number off the side too.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

find a member locally and see what he would charge to call the factory.. might still be set to original combo if its available

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I hate/love it about how my little velvet bag of cut diamonds doesn't make a sound when I roll my safe over :-)

Reply to
Mike Easter

Hell it could be so full nothing is moving inside...lol

but probably empty and not worth $50.00.... Beat the crap out of it and confirm nothing exist and throw it in the trash.

Reply to
Roger Cann

If the sellers knew the safe was there and left it there it is going to probably be considered abandoned property. The buyer should look into how his or her state treats abandoned property. That said it could also be argued that something heavy/substantial like a safe or a refrigerator or whatever that is knowingly left in a house by a seller and which is not stipulated to convey or not to convey in the purchase contract becomes the property of the new owner simply by the ambiguity of the contract being interpreted against it's maker, who is usually the seller.

Reply to
Steve

then pry the sucker open..

Reply to