search warrant safe opening

Reading about the police raid on Michael Jackson's Neverland home / ranch got me to wondering...

Suppose you were rich and weird and had a collection of illegal ... whatever ... that was precious to you. You could afford as elaborate a safe / vault / secret room / etc. as you wanted. Now the police knock on the door with a warrant. Assuming they find the safe, how far will they go to open it? Hire a high powered tech for a couple of days to drill / blast it open? I guess that makes sense, since they want to find what they are after, but just how far do these searches go?

Just curious.

Reply to
Scott Berg

Did a job for the FBI . The warrant allowed them to search the customer's safe and they hired me to do the p&e and open ANYTHING locked. Rule of thumb was unlock and move out of their way.

mr.bill

Reply to
mr.bill

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

Through the years I have been on many jobs with various law enforcement agencies. One thing they all had in common was ,they didnt care how or what I had to do as long as the container was opened for them to search.

Gary Hardigree Georgia Safe and Lock Co.

GHardigree

I do 2-3 search warrants a month, it depends on what the warrant says if they can even open the safe, like if you are looking for a stolen elephant you can not open a floor safe, the elephant wouldn't fit. but if you are looking for paper work on the elephant you can open the safe. Also the arrest status of the person comes into play , i opened a kidnaped victims safe, the pd paid for both opening and repair. mike is not under arrest, his safe would most likely have to be opened with care. A drug dealer sitting in cuffs can have his safe opened with a crow bar and destroyed. But one thing to remember is all of the suspects are given the opportunity to give up the combos before someone is called in to do an opening.

Reply to
todd

If you presume that folks who are expecting the FBI may have boobytrapped the safe, moving out of the way is a Very Good Thing; dealing with that threat is THEIR job.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

How did you get that gig? Did they call you one day, or did you approach them? And if the latter, whom did you contact to offer your services?

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

bobby I subcontract out to @ 35 locksmiths, and it just ends up getting known , as for approaching the pd , they dont seem to talk among themselves, so you might do the drug warrants but someone else does the vice warrants

Reply to
todd

If they have a search warrant they will go as far as they need to to open and container they suspect contains material covered by the warrant. Opening virtually any safe is not a big deal when you don't have to worry about time or secrecy.

I have heard of several cases where police searches missed hidden material that was later discovered accidently.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Do any PD's charge the owner for cracking a safe where the owner refuses to divulge the combo?

Reply to
Peter

Probably not. They don't charge the perp for their other costs. They charge him with other things. <grin/>

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

I know the pd in irvine does if you got money.

Reply to
todd

Reply to
Slice

They will sue the cops - the cops (rather City Hall, the County, the State or Uncle Sam) have deeper pockets. Interestingly, how many locksmiths have been sued when helping the cops?

Reply to
Peter

It might not hurt to consult an attorney just in case: some state governemental immunity laws might not allow a suit against the police, but a locksmith MIGHT still be a viable defendant.

Reply to
bob555

they sign the 'permission slips out the Yazoo BEFORE I would touch one... just because... and define the HOW to be opened... repairable, or not...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Presumably the immunity laws also cover people assisting police in execution of their duties, so a formal written request to assist should extend that immunity to the person doing the opening. Attorney's advice is appropriate and the local association or guild may well have sought such advice.

Reply to
Peter

Good faith reliance on a court order is almost always a defense.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Friedman