Autosketch?

Pardon the interruption, but I think I have a pointy object labled "Autodesk" in my backside, and I need some help :). I stupidly bought "Autosketch 8" to do some basic plans for some furniture I am building, since it was cheaper than Autocad and (I thought) simpler. After buying it and installing it I find that a) what documentation it has is near usless, b) there are no aftermarket books on it that I can find in print, c) it's not even close to being 'easy to use' in as-shipped form. I can't find a newsgroup for it, I can't find books for it, and right now I can't even figure out how to create a rectangle of a specified size (91" x 29").

Are there any newsgroups or books for Autosketch, or is it truly a piece of trash for which I Autodesk has stolen $110 from me for?

FYI, a) yes I'm peeved - there's no excuse to charge that much for software and give no useful documentation for the market niche it's aimed at, b) no, I'm not a newbie computer user (unix hack, website hack, etc.), and I've even had a year of Drafting instruction years ago in high school. Yes I've RTFM'd the online help.

If I can't get some pointers to help resources I'm going to go buy Turbocad (no way I'd buy another Autodesk product).

Any pointers/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Reply to
Robert Allen

I don't know of any documentation on Autosketch. There may be some somewhere but I have never seen it. If you are thinking of going with Turbocad (I personally recommend it), you might want to download their free version. It is Turbocad Version 4 Professional, It was the last version they 2D only version they released. It is at least as capable as Autosketch and comes with a PDF users manual. In addition, there is a very active users forum that is a lot of help. Go here:

download. You have to fill out a form but they do not spam you. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Reply to
CW

Robert Allen schrieb:

At the news server discussion.autodesk.com you can find a newsgroup autodesk.autosketch.general

Here in Germany I know two books about AutoSketch. I'm sure you will find also a book in english language (or whatever you need).

- Start the rectang command from the universal tool bar

- pick the first point

- type R, this will activate the input window for relative coordinates

- in the X-field type 91, in the Y-field type 29

- Accept

HTH Juergen

Reply to
Jürgen Palme

Hey CW... Do you know??? If AutoCAD LT 2000 will work on WIN XP Pro? I found out that I have to upgrade to ACAD LT 2004 before Jan 15 2004 or I have to pay Full price. I am planing to get a new computer with the XP pro OS in the next few months but do not want to have to up grade to 2004 if I don't have to. Of coarse Autodesk said 2000 would not work on an XP machine. I'm thinking of installing on my sons XP just to see if it will or will not work. I had to up grade to the program before I have a computer to run it on but I also would hate to pay full price if I wait base the middle of January..

Leon...

Reply to
Leon

Yes, it will run fine on XP. The oldest version I have installed on XP was

2000i but the difference between that and 2000 is of virtually no consequence. I addition, XP has a compatibility feature that can be set to emulate prior versions of Windows. I have no doubt that R-14 would run on XP.

Reply to
CW

Thanks CW, I'll see you back at the wreck... and I'll test my version on my sons XP and see if I fare as well..

Reply to
Leon