OT- Autosketch CAD

I use a CAD program a lot when doing a scratch model or major conversion. I also use it in decal making. I have been using an old
version of Autodesk's Autosketch.
I have just upgraded to a new computer, but it is running Vista. I went to Autodesk's site last night to check out the latest version of Autosketch (version 7), and the requirements call out XP or 2000- not a word about Vista. Does anyone know if Autosketch is compatible with Vista?
on 9/24/2008 10:03 AM Don Stauffer said the following:

Did you try to install the software on the Vista machine? I've installed programs that were originally Win98 programs on my Vista machine with no problem. I believe that most of the problems related to Vista were hardware incompatibility problems.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Yeah, I tried to install my old version and get a message saying it is incompatible with Vista.
snipped-for-privacy@usfamily.net says...

Try setting compatibility mode..
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista - compatibility-mode/

definitly email microshaft. ask them for a patch. prolly a waste, but you can vent on them.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote: : : definitly email microshaft. ask them for a patch. : prolly a waste, but you can vent on them. :     You could always demand tinyflacid show you how well it works on "mojave". Snicker chortle.
    A bunch of people looking at Vista eye-candy. Okay. So?
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.

ask them how to spank vista's monkey. bet they not only wouldn't get it, but would be looking for the security guy.
Bruce Burden wrote:

Isn't that pathetic? MS has to run commercials trying to sell people on their latest expensive 'oops!'. My son said that wait 'til those people actually try to get something done with Vista. They won't find it so neat then.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

bring back 98.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote: : : bring back 98. :     Ack! no, seriously. There are very good reasons not to go back past win2k.
    winxp has better support than win2k, but is a pig, so I can understand not wanting winxp.
    95 make 98 look good. And 95 make me look, errr, sorta acceptable? Maybe.
    Vista, however, with its build in suck up to the enter- tainment industry (ie, DRM), is a monument to cluelessness.
    Time will tell if M$ can get it right with the forthcoming "windoze 7". With billy gone, and balmer apparently muzzled, perhaps. But I won't count on it.
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.

EVERY proprietary music proggie and all the wierd sound files i use work with 98. when i "upgraded" to xp, i found myself building a new box to run it. my 98 box is still the primary music box. all of my fussy vinyl encode software works on it. about 50% do with xp. despite several eternities with tech support. which caused me to use full backup discs about 7 times. bah humbug on xp! and vista is not a vision i want.
XP pro works just fine on a true dual core processer based system. Both 95 and 98 would puke on what I run for hardware as well, 4 GB RAM, terabyte RAID array, dual burners and networked. Vista however is a total pile of steaming feces that is no longer and OS but an entertainment system interface and thus useless for real work.
Bruce Burden wrote:

: : ...Bruce, much of what's wrong with Vista had AbZero to do with either : Gates or Ballmer. :     I will grant you that Balmer has had zip to do with tech decisions, but he is still, IMHO, a scumbag. :-)
    However, unless evidence surfaces to the contrary, I believe that Gates, in a coldly calculated attempt to force Apple out of the market, embraced DRM as advocated by the entertainment industry. And, add in the fact that windoze would NOT give you your OWN work back, he would also have had the entertainment industry by the short and curlies was a delicious part of those calculations. : : As with what destroyed Dell in 2001, a bunch of : mid-level managers and marketing goons made decisions regarding : "feature creep" :     What hurt Dell was dirt cheap hardware prices that lessened their advantages wrt "just in time" manufacturing which cut their profit margins, which lead to an ill-conceived decision to try to prop up their margins by selling low margin consumer items: flat screens, printers, etc. And, the contracting PC manufacturing companies added to their woes, "JIT" be damned.
    Once Dell lost their price advantage, the "touchy-feely" need became more important than simple price differential, and having no retail outlets became a liability. I think this is even more of an issue with plasma/LCD screens, as there are, what, only two companies making these things now?
    And, the printer engine side is no better, given the print engine is where the expense is in printers. Ink has a very large margin, but if you don't OEM the ink, you don't get that margin. Oops. : : Those decisions wound up : bloating Vista to the point where it's crippled. 70% of IT departments : buying new machines wipe them and install XP, :     I get the impression that IT is anti-vista because their internally developed tools/utilities will not work with vista due to the changes to the vista start-up mechanism.
    So, the choice was to either:
1) re-write scripts that are likely "ad-hoc" to start with, and make them work with a mechanism that is not well understood on top of that, all the while trying to justify such expense to the (non-tech) CIO,
or
2) Ignore the problem, and stick with XP for as long as possible, and this makes a lot of sense when companies rarely spring for the hardware that will make the "eye-candy" come alive anyway.
This, of course, is excerbated when the (non-tech) CIO can't be sold on the "enhanced" securty of vista, because, after all, "aren't we behind the firewall?..." : : but Micro$oft still : lists them as a "sale" because it was sold on the system. :     Sure they do. And they still can't claim vista to be a success.
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
: : ...There may be more truth to that that you realize. Apparently : (cr)Apple may be shutting down iTunes over royalty issues. :     And anti-competetitive issues, IIRC. Sweden, I think? : : The decision's : supposed to be made here in a few weeks, but the word through the : grapevine is that the MafRIAA won't back down, and they're actually : hoping iTunes will be gone so they can go back to doing their own : individual sales sites per company. :     Yeah, those have all worked with crap. Interesting that even spam-mart has given DRM tunes the boot.
    Still, what do you expect from an industry that:
1) hasn't had a new idea in 4 decades, 2) sues their own customers. And screws that up to boot!
    And then they wonder why they are losing sales?
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

I have no problem with that - I'm running it right now on #1. #2 has XP. My son can't see why I don't jump whole hog into the newer program. Um, Netscape won't run with it for one thing and I REALLY prefer using 4.7 for mail and the newsgroups.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

never did try foxfire? it's really good for die hard 4.7 users. like i was.
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 04:11:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

I have to ditto Firefox and it's e-mail companion Thunderbird
I'm running Win2K-pro - probably the most stable release Microsnert ever put out
Firefox for my browser, Thunderbird for my e-mail and Agent for my newsgroups
No problems doing CAD work (Autosketch 9.0 - Eagle for electronics), picture editing (Paint Shop Pro) or video editing (Ulead Videostudio)
My #2 machine runs 98SE as does my very-old laptop (P133, 40mb, 5gb)
My opinion?
Trash Vista, put XP back in the box and get 2K-Pro

i was given alnost 100 2kpro and 98se pkgs with serials by it guys hurrying to vista. some of them asked for them back.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

I'm here courtesy of Thunderbird and #2 machine tonight. Just came over from the Spotlight Hobbies (Hobbyheaven) board on Firefox. Still prefer Netscape for the newsgroups.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

gotcha. whatcha know and like.