A CAD Program

I'd like to get a CAD program. This will be mostly for drawing up model airplane plans, but will be used for some other mechanical design. With
models, I want to put scanned-in bitmaps of scale 3-views and design the model over them. Better yet, a program that would be able to do a good job of turning a scan into a line drawing would be ever so cool.
I have a copy of "TurboCAD Designer 2D/3D" Version 8, which I picked up ages ago. It's sitting in my wastebasket because it does nothing but crash my machine.
Anyone have any CAD program suggestions? Is Turbo CAD now reliable? A 2D program would be sufficient, but I wouldn't say no to a 3D program if the price were right.
Thanks.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

Alibre Design Xpress 3D.
A real 3D solid modeling package. Works great. Free.
http://www.alibre.com/xpress /
Discussion forums:
http://www.alibre.com/xpress/forum/index.php?sidh78dcf68b13bf8db4daf403287b8c3a
Jim Stewart wrote:

Thx for the tip, I'm dowloading it now (67 MB).
--
HPT

$90 for one of the easiest to use, and most complete packages available Design CAD version 16.
http://www.imsisoft.com/prodinfo.asp?t=1&mcid26&cid 6425
To the OP, there is a version of this program called Model CAD. (if you can find it?) It is specifically set up to design model airplanes (and is pretty handy for real ones too).
Richard some of my daydream sketches: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~tp-1 /

That free version has some limitations but the "real" version is priced (if memory serves) at about $1000. Pretty easy to work with as well.
says...

Alibre, a 3d parametric modeler, gets good reviews considering its price. As I understand it, the main limitation on the free version is that there's a limit to the number of parts in an assembly. One workaround to this limitation would be to lump several parts into one. You wouldn't want to do this if you had to produce part drawings of your model for release, but it'd probably be workable for drawings for your own use.
Ned Simmons
I've used AutoSketch since our first computer. I've been pretty happy with it for 2d of stuff I'm making. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID 3112&id'53027
Steve
Tim Wescott wrote:

Steve Smith wrote:

AutoSketch has been an incredibly capable 2D program. I would advise nothing older than version 7 though. You can pick up new copies of the older program pretty cheap online with a little searching.
If you want something really inexpensive and easy, use A9Cad for free, or upgrade for like $29. I do not use it personally, but have reviewed it a while back. They seem to have a good thing going there, and they offer some very nice DXF to DWG conversion tools as well. You can find that here: http://www.a9tech.com /
Grummy
I suspect you don't have enough disk space for a cache or enough memory to run it. Maybe you have to much already loaded.
I"ve been using turbocad for years - since DOS - and it works. Something isn't set up right. C out of space ? - make a area on another drive/partition.
Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
Tim Wescott wrote:

-

TurboCad and it's offshoots of AutoCad are all stable, BUT, the learning curve extends from day one to eternity. Telling it the wrong thing will crash it, I have Intellicad, same thing, different wrapper. GIve it a bad instruction and watch several hours of work evaporate. Good for geeks, not so good if you want to get something done.

Draft Choice from Trius Software, I've been using it for years, simple, intuitive, you can use math inputs, or work from the mouse or graph tablet. Not free, and not cheap, about $70 last time I looked. trial can be downloaded, it puts a ghost right in the middle of the drawing until the trial period expires, then it ain't a ghost, solid black.
Rich
Tim:     If you want to be able to scan a sketch, then have the CAD program convert it into a drawing- you need something with "raster-to-vector" conversion, which later versions of Turbocad do have. (My brother bought a fairly recent version of Turbocad for $18 at the local computer swapmeet!) I use Autocad and Vector, but they're not cheap, and they don't do R to V conversion. One of the places I work bought a program called Streamline specifically to perform R to V conversions, $1500, but if Turbocad does a decent job, it's gotta be the obvious choice.             -Paul
P.S. do you empty your wastebasket very often?
Tim Wescott wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Turbocad is reliable - dunno why it pasted your machine., But I use Corel draw - get a bitmap editor and enough to do decals thrown in.

I'll also recommend that you take a look at Alibre Express. I've been using one of the commercial versions of Alibre (Alibre Pro) for a couple of years now and was really surprised at how easy it was to learn. I'm entirely self-taught when it comes to CAD and it took me about a week with the tutorials to get productive. I never could make sense out of IntelliCAD or DesignCAD. The most complicated project I've completed so far is a copy of Jerry Howell's design for his V-Twin model IC engine, renderings of which can be seen here:
http://member.newsguy.com/~mphenry/Jerry%20Howell%20V-Twin%20Render.jpg
http://member.newsguy.com/~mphenry/Jerry%20Howell%20V-Twin%20Render-BackView.jpg
http://member.newsguy.com/~mphenry/V-Twin-ExplodedView1.jpg
Unfortunately I don't think that Alibre can import scanned images into part design, though they can be inserted into drawings, not that that would do you much good..
Mike
I have been using Alibre Design Pro for the last year. I am generally pleased with it for the money. I am torn on whether I should have bought the basic version instead. Note that many of the extras included that make up the pro version are *1 year demos*.
I bought it during the yearly half price sale mentioned below.
To be honest, I have been spoiled by Solidworks and even though Solidworks isn't perfect I'd rather have Solidworks than Alibre. Having said that, Alibre is much more affordable than S.W. (Solidworks runs about $5500/seat for the basic version) which made my purchasing choice for me.
Also, if the express version of Alibre doesn't suit you but you like the design, one month a year - june i believe - they run a half price special on all their versions.
StaticsJason

http://member.newsguy.com/~mphenry/Jerry%20Howell%20V-Twin%20Render-BackView.jpg
TurboCad has proven it self, many modellers use it. It may not be th
best but it surely isn't the worst (specially for the price). Go t overstock.com and pick up the latest version for about $20 and if you system needs upgrade you can do that there as well. Save your self th time to re-learn a new CAD software (learning curve on these is neve ending). Some times our brand new 2years old computer is alread obsolete for the latest version of software (not that your system i not up to date):
-- habutt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- habutti's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u 24 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tH961

Why do you say that?
Peter
Peter Grey wrote:

Can't speak for Peter, but... After buying two versions of TurboCAD(admittedly from the bargain bin) and confronting the daunting learning curve, I have given up on both. I'm looking at Alibre & A9CAD from the suggestions here.
Rex B wrote:

There is a bit of a learning curve to TurboCAD, however that seems to be the case with any CAD package that is not optimized for a specific use.
In the case of TurboCAD the comparison is to Floorplan3D (bundled with TurboCAD BTW). For doing 3D house layouts Floorplan3D is very fast and easy vs. doing the same in TurboCAD. TurboCAD provides far more capabilities at the cost of more complexity.
I've been using TurboCAD intermittently since ~1997 or so when I started out needing a 2D CAD package to view and tweak some architectural prints. I found the 2D version of TurboCAD as a free download from IMSI (just register) and found it fairly easy to get a handle on and use for my needs.
A few months after getting the 2D version I got the email offer for TurboCAD Pro 3D (v6 I think) for $99 which was rather a no-brainer. A few upgrades later and I'm currently using v9 pro at far less than the "regular" price.
I'm certainly still no CAD wiz, but I'm getting more comfortable with each project I work on. I have not really spent any time just trying to learn TurboCAD either. I'm also not running it on a particularly high end machine, just a P3/500 with 128MB and W2K and it runs just fine, in fact much better than Photoshop Elements 2 does.
Just my thoughts and experiences...
Pete C.

I've got it and have yet to learn to use it. I did spend an hour or so with it and was unable to figure out how to draw a line... I suspect it IS a daunting task to learn this thing. I don't know that I'd call it crap... yet.
Peter
Odd - mine comes up wanting to draw a line off the bat.
There are training CD's that walk you through the simple draw a box, circle. .....
I have version 10 pro - with training disk and the monster symbol disk. Which reminds me - I have to install it in the shop computer now.
I admit - I have a dozen or so types of CAD from CADENCE PCB and IC, ..... to Smith Chart cad program... RF filters cad and - ..... on and on. Everyone has their special version for something. I just kept adding..
The Cadence one is a full blown professional version - monster to learn!!!!! But I have the training manual in pdf for it and others.
Peter Grey wrote:

-