CAD: dimension an arc?

Can any inexpensive computer aided design program, like any of the following, dimension an arc?

AutoSketch DesignCAD TurboCAD DeltaCAD

In case I'm not understood or my use of "dimension" is incorrect. ... I draw an arc ... the program knows the start and end point ... I want the program to tell me how far from beginning of arc to end of arc (along the curve, not a beeline from point A to point B)

Can you tell it the start point and the end point, and then make it calculate the distance along that curved line?

Can any CAD do that?

Thanks very much in advance.

Reply to
John Doe

My TurboCad V8 can certainly do it.

Reply to
Wooding

John Doe wrote in news:Xns95A318AC21B04wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44:

Don't know about those listed, but in AutoCad2002, you click 'tools-->

inquiry-->area' and click the two end points. If the area is closed, you get area and perimeter, if the arc is open, you get perimeter.

Reply to
Anthony

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:25:23 GMT, John Doe vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

In case not, the method is relatively simple if you also know the radius of the arc.

If you are happier in degrees, 1 radian = 57.2957877855694 degrees. Round to suit.

HTH

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

My old version of Vector returns pi when I verify the dimension of half a 2" diameter circle

Reply to
Geo

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:25:23 GMT, John Doe vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Since my answer is "I don't know. But DeltaCad can't"

To put it another way:

Dimension the radius of the arc (DeltaCad _can_). Draw lines from the arc's circle centre to the ends. Dimension the angle between the lines(theta) (DelatCad is a bear to use for this, but it will do it). Length of arc = (2 pi r) * (theta / 360).

If Grandma has just learned to suck eggs, then sorry.

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

How? Looking at TurboCAD version 10, I don't see it.

Reply to
John Doe

AutoSketch (V. 6) cannot "dimension" the arc, around the arc, but you _can_ easily determine the distance:

Draw your arc Right click anywhere on the arc, and a box comes up, at the bottom of the box is "arc properties", select this, and more information than you need to know will appear, including the length along the arc. You _may_ have to fiddle with some options to get the desired level of precision.

Reply to
Wayne Bengtsson

Two ways:

  1. If you want the actual arc length to be dimensioned on the drawing (similar to a normal linear dimension, but along the arc) just select the Angular measurement tool and in Properties|Format ensure that Arc Length is ticked.

  1. If you just want to know the length, but don't want it written on the drawing, select Tools|Measurement|Distance, then right click to bring up the options window and tick By Entity, then select the arc and its length will appear in the Measurement Info pallet.

Reply to
Wooding

Hey JD,

I created a random size and placed arc, then used the "LIST" command and ' picked ' the arc.........Here is what AutoCAD 2000 returns: =================================

Select objects: ARC Layer: "0" Space: Model space Handle = 2B center point, X= 8.1330 Y= 2.0648 Z= 0.0000 radius 4.0848 start angle 24 end angle 138 length 8.1068

================================= I think that means it does all that you asked. On the other hand, you asked for inexpensive, which it is not!!

Take care.

Brian laws>

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I see it. Thanks to all of the replies.

Wood ...

Reply to
John Doe

Thanks for the work around. Besides dance and sing, my computer should do that stuff.

newssvr11.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!prodigy.net!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!cyclone-sf.pbi.net!64.42.15.2!HSNX.atgi.net!newsfeed.iinet.net.au!newsfeed.iinet.net.au!per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au!not-for-mail

Reply to
John Doe

In Rhinoceros, you can't dimension it directly. But you can use the analyze function to tell you the length of any line curve or polyline. You can then use the text function to label the curve or line. A demo version of rhino is available at

Its full function but limited to 25 saves. but can be unistalled and reinstalled to start again.

Reply to
James P Crombie

Reply to
Ralph Henrichs

The free version of CadStd can do it with the 'Query Element' function. You can also find the length along a B-Spline curve:

kandr