My fist aluminum welding project

Greetings All,

I just wanted to say "Thank You" to all those who have asked and answered various Al TIG welding questions over the years! The archive of those discussions were extremely helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

The project was / is an Al framed 16" telescope. I had the pleasure of having a friend with a huge Miller Syncrowave with all the bells and whistles (which I didn't use, but it all looked impressive). My 'education' started by watching Shad (the owner and friend) weld a few inches of scrap Al together, followed by a "Now you try it" After a few practice inches I thought "Heck this feels just like brazing brass with the OA torch except I get to use my foot!" :)

Anyway, all that's left now is to build a powder coating oven, then sell the crazy thing so I can go buy my own Tig welder :)

Here's some pictures, starting from the most recent working backwards through the project.

In closing, I just really want to say thanks for all the past posts, and that Google is our friend! :)

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

Very impressive to me...

I am wanting to be able to weld Al also but my goals aren't as lofty as that project..

Garry

Reply to
Garry