Easiest CAD Program?

Looking for easiest version for windows 2000xp. I am trying to make new Pinball Playfields with the help of CNC Router. Autocad 2006 looks extremely hard for a beginner. Anyone who knows pinball, there are alot of light lenses to be entered. Any help would be great.

Reply to
greatwichjohn

I've been using CAD for 20 years. All of the CAD programs that draw vector graphics require a fairly steep learning curve. Which is easiest is always a matter of previous skill or one's ability to adapt to learning new skills.

Since you're a DYI drafter I would suggest you try one of the really inexpensive programs such as TurboCAD [1] as a learning tool. That way you spend very little money on a program that can be used successfully for a goal such as drafting pinball playfields.

No matter which program you use, you'll create one or more 'light lenses' as needed by their different types and copy and paste everywhere they are needed. I know TurboCAD can be used to output data used with a CNC Router.

google: turbocad cnc router

My experience is architectural though. Hopefully somebody with CNC specific experience will show up to agree or suggest a better low cost alternative but again, all CAD programs have a fairly steep learning curve for those not familiar with CAD and nobody can tell you what will be easy for you to learn which is why I suggest going to the lowest cost and working your way back up if needed.

Looking for easiest version for windows 2000xp. I am trying to make new

Reply to
clintonG

Deltacad would be more than adiquate for yuor needs. It is rather easy to learn and has a price tag of about $40.00. The lowest end version of Turbocad would be able to do all you need and is priced about the same. Don't bother looking on thier website for this version, it is only available in stores.

Reply to
CW

Concepts 2D would have to be one of the easiest and best value around at the moment for 2d stuff.

I use Autocad, Ashlar-Vellum and Solidworks. Autocad would be at the bottom of my list for ease of use and function out of the box..

Reply to
Cam J

I don't know the cost of Ashlar's Vellum these days but it pioneered 'tracking' which is an extremely useful drafting productivity feature that I observed Autodesk 'borrowed' and now uses in their products. I used Vellum briefly many years ago and would also put a word in for using Vellum as well as TurboCAD.

If it were a tie between the two I would start thinking about end user and

3rd party support for scripts and drawing libraries and so on to break the tie.

But as usual we're all talking to ourselves as it looks like the OP took the weekend off and many times theu never return %-(

Concepts 2D would have to be one of the easiest and best value around at

Reply to
clintonG

Thanks guys for the advice, the pinball guys are saying to use any version of cad, save drawing to parts wizard. I will look at the low cost stuff first, most pinballs use same cutouts, light lenses, target banks, etc. So once I save these, I hope that I can drag & place.

Reply to
greatwichjohn