BRL-CAD?

Anyone heard of BRL-CAD?

It's supposed to be a well-developed open-source solid modeling package.

I was wondering if anyone here has any mileage with it, and their impressions.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I have seen it: downloaded it, even. But I haven't tried it seriously, as yet.

Reply to
David R Brooks

I've been watching for it to be offered as a zip file. The

2006 Windows version used the bastard MSI installer which isn't allowed on my computer. I can hack the package apart but it uses a zillion files/directories which I gave up trying to sort out. I asked if they could make it available as a zip archive, they thought that was a good idea but didn't have anyone willing to sort it out.

Hmm... just took a look and see that they finally got around to offering a new Windows build. May have to try downloading it and see just what installer they are using with it now. They claim it is better, maybe a Nullsoft package? I can hack those apart okay. Not today though, already wasted enough time downloading some whoppers on dial-up...

Iggy was trying it out around a year ago using the Linux version. I never heard how far he got with it.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

"Wes" mentioned it last week in r.c.m, "Anyone playing with brl-cad?"

comments "windows version which is not as full featured afaikt" and "they offer a debian package" and link to a gcode generator but got no responses.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

I just finished installing it; I think it said it was using Install Shield -- but I didn't pay much attention.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

with comments "windows version which is not as full featured afaikt"

Oh, yea -- check the dang archives first!!

At any rate, I've just installed it, if I find out anything interesting I'll post it.

I really want to do a solid model of this here Cox TD 09 replacement cylinder that I'm making, then get a drawing to pin on the wall behind the lathe as I work. We'll see if I get that far, or if I end up breaking out the compasses and graph paper.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I'm trying to learn. The windows version doesn't seem to be full featured. Spent a fair bit of time getting my Fedora Core 8 to compile.

I hope to play with how it outputs dxf or dwg files in the near future.

Wes

Wes

The latest release uses the Nullsoft installer. It also needs the MS .net framework (or at least part of it) and a newer OS than NT4. So it won't run on my computer anyway.

I may be able to figure out where to stick all the files and directories though for the old version now. Someday when I'm really bored I may see about that :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I got it compiled last night on my Linux box (the Debian package is pretty old). Haven't had a chance to play yet...

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Another interesting program out there is blender

It can do some impressive kinemations. Blender is 3d but not a real solid modeler.

Wes

Reply to
Wes