Laptop CAD?

I'm looking for a simple drawing app. that I can run on my laptop without an external mouse. It's a lower end 1gh/256/60 with a touchpad and a clit for
a mouse. I just want to do simple 2D drawings while watching TV and I get an idea. Ideally, it could output a jpeg so I can e-mail stuff that anybody can see. Oh, and it has to be free or cheap! (I think that's my tagline)
Tom Gardner wrote:

autocad 14

Once you use Solidworks, Autocad looks like MS Paint with a flakey mouse.
Tom Gardner wrote:

Once you understand the difference between AutoCAD and Solidworks, comparisons of the two are really, really flakey.
To address the actual topic, we need to know if you want a 2D or 3d package. Don't do 3D unless you will gain something substantial from it - 2D is much easier to learn and get results in a reasonable amount of learning time.
Dave

I haven't used AutoCAD for many years...since I started using Solidworks. Yes, they are apples and oranges. I don't need the potential of either. I just do simple machine parts and assemblies. I have a desktop in my home office with SW but I just want a simple 2D for my laptop for when the mood strikes my while there's a commercial on TV. I don't think my laptop will run SW very well and I think it'll be clunky with the touchpad.

I'm ashamed to say that I do all my drawings in Visio. It still works, even after Micro$oft bought them out. It's ok for simple-minded 2d drawings and can cope with dimensions etc. Even has things like templates for bearings and so-on
I use it for mechanical drawings, architectural plans and even logic diagrams. I really need to get a life :-(
Mark Rand RTFM
Nothing wrong with Visio, it is a complex cad really.
I did many an IC proposal in it - fast and everyone had it in Marketing - so they could tweak...
Now my wide draws gardens using it - has the libs... "OO" 'oh oh' libs as well....
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/
Mark Rand wrote:

-
Tom,
If it's just for ideas and not production CAD then the free version of Sketchup might do the trick:
http://sketchup.google.com/download.html
Chris

    For which OS? I'm in communication with a fellow writing a CAD program patterned after TurboCAD -- but it is for linux -- or any other unix system. I'm helping him by testing it on Sun's Solaris and OpenBSD, and also suggesting improvements.
    It is already to the point where I used it to design a simple project a week ago.
    One of the benefits of it is that it does not lock you into a particular drawing size -- if your project expands out one side of the drawing -- the final printout will show up in the right scale to fit your paper.
    It produces output in PostScript format -- but another free unix program can covert postscript to PDF (really great for e-mail to others) -- and you can probably find a conversion from PostScript to JPEG if you really want it -- but JPEG is a bad choice for line drawings. Better to go to two-color GIF -- or even to TIFF -- so you don't get the blurring of lines intersecting at small angles that JPEG gives when you zoom in for details.
    The price is (and will remain) free.
    I haven't yet tried it on a laptop, but it should work well enough -- and if you want better control, you can plug a mouse or a trackball into the laptop.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 17 Dec 2006 06:57:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

When its ready..Id love to have a copy.
Gunner
Political Correctness
    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    O.K. I'll ask on next exchange of e-mail whether I can pass on the download URL. He is working on version 0.6 at the moment, and I'm using 0.5. The upgrades with 0.6 are a bit ambitious, so I'm not sure how quick that one will be.
    And if you're able to feed back reports of trying to use it, and what you would like changed -- I'm sure that he will be happy.
    You will have to compile it, of course. But we've been working on a Makefile which will work with a variety of systems, and he is developing and compiling on linux anyway, so it should be easy enough. For Solaris (a 64-bit OS) I had to feed back some error messages and output from gdb (GNU Debugger) before we tracked down some of the things which were making it unhappy with a 64-bit OS.
    I probably *should* have e-mailed this -- but both of us have rather active anti-spam approaches, so I figured that this would be a bit more reliable for a first round. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Don, I have a 64 bit deriviative of slackware 11.0 (SLAMD64) installed on this machine. I could compile and do some testing of this on it. Last time I looked for linux cad I didn't find anything that sounded worth trying. This sounds more promising.. Alan Wood
| Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

    Send me an email (the address hopefully to appear above and in my .sig is valid) and I'll put you in contact with the fellow doing the writing of the program. (This sounds like a nice other test case, since I have been working on 64-bit UltraSPARC CPUs, and it sounds as though you have some other hardware platform.
    Please -- no HTML in the e-mail -- and a subject line which mentions CAD so I have a better chance of spotting it if it gets hung up in the spam folder.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 18 Dec 2006 05:11:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

way cool!
Gunner
Political Correctness

I do have a Linux box at work to play with but the laptop is XP. I'm trying to avoid adding controls or I could just walk across the room to a desktop. Yea, I know...the height of laziness!

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... do you have enough disk on the laptop to make it dual-boot? Then you trade off walking across the room for waiting for a reboot. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:

You could either use a liveboot CD and download the cad software to that, or you could use FreeNX to access another, larger machine from your laptop. If you have a wireless card, it might even be easier to just use FreeNX between your desktop and laptop anyway, especially if you have the software you like already on the server. Obviously I'm a Linux partisan, but if you have the tool, use it. GCC
I had good luck with Generic Cadd - they got bought by autocadd folks over a decade ago, but you still see generic Cadd software for sale (used) - runs under DOS, should be OK on the laptop, works well with 386 and up - and it can make DXF files

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 04:09:57 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Ive heard em called a Pearl and a Little man in the boat..and a love button..but never a mouse.
Gunner
Political Correctness
on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:35:49 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

    "Rosebud ..."
toodles pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich