Laptop CAD?

According to Tom Gardner :

[ ... ]

Hmm ... do you have enough disk on the laptop to make it dual-boot? Then you trade off walking across the room for waiting for a reboot. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

why not sure a trackball on your lap thats what I do if I have to do much with a mouse. it will just sit on your lap.

Reply to
stevek

Reply to
Alan Wood

on 12/17/2006, Tom Gardner supposed :

Try out ProgeCAD LT 2006

It is a freeware AutoCAD Lt clone.

JB

Reply to
John

According to Alan Wood :

Send me an email (the address hopefully to appear above and in my .sig is valid) and I'll put you in contact with the fellow doing the writing of the program. (This sounds like a nice other test case, since I have been working on 64-bit UltraSPARC CPUs, and it sounds as though you have some other hardware platform.

Please -- no HTML in the e-mail -- and a subject line which mentions CAD so I have a better chance of spotting it if it gets hung up in the spam folder.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

way cool!

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

\ Doesnt the cat get in the way?

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:23:41 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@knight-toolworks.com quickly quoth:

OK, now try that paragraph with "use" instead of "sure" and with a bit of punctuation and capitalization. ;)

Hi, Steve! What's new in the Plane world? Did you have fun in last week's storm? The barn behind me lost a 20x16' section of its roof in the winds that night.

I found some more IBM-branded Logitech Trackman Portable track balls on eBay earlier this year and restocked my closet. I love the hell out of them because my wrist is in a more comfortable/natural/vertical position. Also, I can use one in my lap so my arm isn't stretched out onto the desktop, making my wrist and neck muscles sore.

P.S: Shut up, Nick. Sure it's OT. What of it? (Don't answer that.)

- - Let Exxon send their own troops -

Larry Jaques

You could either use a liveboot CD and download the cad software to that, or you could use FreeNX to access another, larger machine from your laptop. If you have a wireless card, it might even be easier to just use FreeNX between your desktop and laptop anyway, especially if you have the software you like already on the server. Obviously I'm a Linux partisan, but if you have the tool, use it. GCC

Reply to
gcc

Hi Tom,

I was going to suggest pencil and paper too, the learning curve is pretty low and you don't have to worry about batteries/power crapping out...

If you are content to scribble have you thought about using a Palm? There are several nice scribbling programs available for that and another one that I've messed with that acts more like a drafting program. Let me know if you are serious and I'll dig-up some info/links for the Palm stuff.

There is always the old Etch-a-Sketch too, you can still get brand new ones if you can't rip one off from your kids ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Do they exist in legal size? ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:35:49 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

"Rosebud ..."

toodles pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Hi Nick,

Sure, but you have to pan around a lot :) 320x320px window, unless you are using an old 160x160px model.

I know you are being sarcastic, but that is a very frustrating aspect to them. If they would make a model with at least a 640x480 screen they would be much more useful.

They work best for taking field notes, perusing small databases, running odd little basic programs and such under field conditions. Places where a real computer just isn't an option...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

:-)

I'm not sarcastic about a Palm or the like! But I'm really sarcastic about drawing first sketches on any kind of computer*). And I do have ... wait ... 5 computers running here. I told that CAD-story a friend last sunday (a graphics guy) and he laughed 'till tears came out of his eyes.

YMMV!

*) Certainly, in 100 years, they will laugh about me.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

They exist. I have a Dell X51v.

Windows Mobile does not make proper use of the resolution, but applications can.

Reply to
Robert Roland

I'm sure you there are different options for Windows Mobile units. Palm has its own idiosyncrasies, but I wouldn't even dream of using Windows Mobile. Not an option, no use for Dell anything either...

I do appreciate your input though :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Hi Nick,

It is really hard to find anything CAD like that doesn't have a STEEP learning curve. Have you ever tried Blender*? It can do some pretty cool 3D stuff, but learning how to do it, ugh!

Some what easier in the 3D category is Wings3D which is also free (it has to be free and small or I can't afford or fit it).

*See (it is open source):
Leon Fisk

I have absolutely nothing against CAD -except for making first layout sketches-. 3D parametric CAD with constrains and assembly is **HUGE** fun.

This one took me 4 hours at a friend's (he had a automotive engineering bureau) Catia:

But I constructed all the screws and even the E-clip. The CAD-model was fully working (turning the crank moved pistons up and down).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller