Drawing program CAD

In the past week or so, somebody mentioned a drawing program he was using, and I cannot find it again, and, believe me, I have sifted through a
mountain of dreck, as well as a lot of serious and genuine posts.
Anybody care to metion their favorite cheap drawing program?
Thanks
Flash
Flash wrote:

I've wasted more time than I care to admit on 'cheap' drawing programs. Rhino is inexpensive, particularly for what it allows you to do.
http://www.rhino3d.com
--Winston
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:27:48 -0700, the infamous Winston

I'm not Flash, but I represent all the tightwads out here in recessionist America when I say "Winnie, Winnie, Winnie, *$1,174 IS NEITHER CHEAP NOR INEXPENSIVE!" Hayseuss Crisco, my wallet is still whining after that one.
I think Flash meant TurboCAD, SmartCad, Envisioneer, and SketchUP (free versions) etc.
* Rhino $995, Training CDs $100, Visual Tips $79 = $1,174
- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. --------------
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 06:36:42 -0700, Larry Jaques

==========Another good alternative, is the IntelliCAD clone of AutoCAD with some of the free lisp or vb add-ins.
I like the CMS version and find that it will run most all of the Autocad add-ins [everything I've tried] http://www.intellicadms.com / stripped version is about 150$ if you include raster imaging and 3-d rendering about 210$ http://www.intellicadms.com/store/catalog.asp?categoryID=MgThere are several lisp add-ins that will allow you to pick points using osnap such as the end points and centers of arcs and will print these coordinates on the print. If you have drawn the part to scale this makes manual g-code programming a snap. I even have one that I will send you that doubles the Y values for diameter lathe programming. Simply move/rotate the cartoon so 0,0 is at a good point of origin and start picking points. Use seperate/additional layers if the part is complex.
(If you are doing turbine blades you can ignore this suggestion.)
scrawled the following:

Two possible solutions: Marry a teacher, or have a kid in college. My upgrade cost $95 either way.
You have to weight costs against benefits for these solutions, of course. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:46:32 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"

IF you're married AND have one or both of those options available, go for it. I used to be able to get Adobe products for $100 as a reseller. They divorced us. <wah!>

It's proper to buy a new tool to do a job. It's improper to buy the horse when all you need is a quick ride on occasion. that horse costs you a house, a car, an entire wardrobe, etc...and that's all _before_ the divorce.
--Cur, the Mudgeon.
- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. --------------
<snip>

Well, after 34 years, I feel I've gotten my money's worth.
Like cars, I keep them until they have no trade-in value. This is my first wife, of course. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress

You have to pay for disposal on that 'car'. Better keep her, far cheaper. ;)
Wes
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:38:29 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"

Yeah, the trade in costs are even steeper than initial setup fees. You were one of the lucky ones. The majority of owners are far less happy. That's why I've always rented the low-upkeep models.
- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. --------------
Ed Huntress wrote:
(...)

What Ed said, Larry.
The following is gonna sound like SPAM so go on to the next subject if you are of delicate sensibilities.
/* Begin SPAM
I wish I could sit you down in front of my computer running Rhino so that you could experience it for yourself. There ain't *nothing* like putting together your first few 3D objects using a tool that gradually 'disappears' and becomes part of you.
This is from the perspective of someone who is much happier learning alone rather than in a classroom, generally speaking. There are exceptions to that of course. I have taken a couple of Rhino's self-paced tutorials but no 'official' training at all.
I coached a contractor buddy of mine as he assembled a 3D frame building. At the end of his *first two hours* he had all four walls up and was working on window openings. This is absolutely from cold. At the beginning of the session he barely knew CAD existed. Contrast that with the weeks of frustration it took me to make U$99.95 Generic CADD 2D do something useful. (And the day from hell trying to get Autocad to do anything except reject commands.)
At the end of your first Rhino session you'll say "Only about a grand for that functionality? What's the catch?" There ain't no catch. It works real well.
I used Rhino to design this bracket to convert my hydraulic cart to 'lift it itself' functionality a while ago.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_2004_retired_files/HydCart.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_2004_retired_files/HydCartOverview.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_2004_retired_files/HydCartLeft.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_2004_retired_files/HydCartMech.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_2004_retired_files/HydCartRelease.jpg
If an untrainable retarded geriatric can do that, (and I did!) then it means Rhino is just a great tool.
By now, Rhino has lots of competent low - cost competitors. I am long since flat out of time to evaluate them and for me, Rhino comes the closest to the perfect CAD software.
End SPAM */
The first taste is free.
BwahHAhahaha!
http://download.rhino3d.com/eval/?p %
--Winston
Drawing boats is not the only think I do,
But assembling something from primitives certainly won't produce a hull shape.
Take a look here, Winston.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm
This drawing took me two hours from starting the lines.
Do it with Rhino and compare?
Fair challenge, don't you think?

Drawing the lines of a hull isn't easy, but good NURBS modelers today make it a lot easer. Those are very nice work, Richard.
Take a look at the marine applications of Rhino. It's become popular for drafting hulls:
http://www.rhino3d.com/marine.htm
-- Ed Huntress
Ed Huntress wrote:

Oh man, oh man! I have drooled all over my keyboard!
Rhino can do it. I suspect that's professional work though.
I bought DC version 18 at Frys for $69.
--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
cavelamb himself wrote:

(...)
(...)
That's a great job, Richard. Clearly you are using a competent CAD program. Did you mention which one it is?
The 3D 'capture' process is very similar, in Rhino.
I've done very little 'compound curve' capturing but as you see in Rhino's website, the tools are in place to do that stuff.
We are in violent agreement about the talent of designers using Rhino, as well.
--Winston

Yes, the price of Rhino is a real problem unless you have a professional use for it. I used it for making 3D magazine illustrations, after it passed out of its multi-year, free beta stage, and I paid what was then the full price for it. At the time I was covering CAD for a couple of magazines and the original math geek for Rhino, Michael Gibson, became my teacher about 3D. So I was into it early on.
However, it's raced past what I used to do with it, and I'm really amazed at what it can do now. If I didn't have to work I'd spend a *lot* of hours with it. It's an exciting tool.
But there are a lot of cheaper programs around now. I'm out of touch, so I don't know how the cheaper ones stack up against Rhino.
-- Ed Huntress
Ed Huntress wrote:

I bought Autocad - way back at version 10 - for DOS. I hated it. Slow, clunky, took HOURS to print.
When I found Design CAD all that changed. It's not Rhino, I know. I'd like to have a chance to play with that one.
But it's awesome at 2D drafting. Easiest to use package I've ever found.
Models in 3D - well above average for a drafting package. (as you saw)
The animation isn't bad - as good as the animator anyway... Example Bender Rodrigues movie that I drew for Dorothy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUWZO2HVuBA

Winston, take a look here...
http://imsidesign.com/Products/DesignCADSeries/DesignCAD3DMAXv18/tabid/326/Default.aspx http://www.designcad.com/Products/OtherProducts/DesignCADSeries/DesignCAD3DMAXv18Plus/tabid/655/Default.aspx
DOWNLOAD PRICE for V 18 - $49??? http://www.designcad.com/Products/OtherProducts/DesignCADSeries/DesignCAD3DMAXv18Upgrade/tabid/382/Default.aspx
Review... http://manufacturing.cadalyst.com/manufacturing/article/articleDetail.jsp?id25058
Plus - tutorial CD - $49 http://www.upperspace.com/products/training /
--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
cavelamb himself wrote:
(Design CAD info)
That looks like a great program Richard. The price is certainly right.
--Winston
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:02:33 -0700, the infamous Winston

I entered a drawing to win a copy of Rhino 3D a few years ago and was overjoyed when they called. Unfortunately, it wasn't a winner's call, it was notice that I had not won and an attempt to sell me the product. It looks like a great program, but I don't do enough to warrant the price. OK, now I'll read on.

We're two of a kind here. I'm usually self-taught.

That's amazing, Winston.

I'm sure of two things. First, I'd probably agree that it worked well. Second, ain't no way in the world I'd ever utter the words "Only about a grand", period. <g> If I had my druthers, I'd own a copy of either Chief Architect or SoftPLAN for my construction business. But they're both nigh onta $3k each. _Ain't_ gonna happen. <g>

Cool! Is that a rotary-to-linear pump adaptor you built, with a small motor to run it?

OK, OK, I'm sold! Saaaaaay, can you loan a buddy about $1174?

Ah, another satisfied customer. Oh, what do upgrades cost, or is it one of the fantastic free-upgrade programs? I love those.

You WRETCH, you! ;)
- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. --------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

They would have done far better long-term to have given you a copy. They would have made plenty of money on support and options over the years.
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:59:31 -0700, the infamous Jim Stewart

Yes, very possibly so. But I seldom upgrade if I don't have to.
- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. --------------