Double Carbide Insert QCTP Toolholder for AXA Toolposts

FWIW, there are two eBay sellers offering these double-ended turning-facing (threading?) toolholders presently.
HHip and tools4cheap are offering these holders with inserts for $44/45 plus
shipping. I would expect that these tools are China imports, so expect that the dovetail dimensions may differ on these generic/cloned parts.
The holder type-number for this particular style of holders is type 16 or 16* with a suffix letter, as a RCM participant with a genuine Aloris holder had informed me of, when I had asked about the toolholder in a posting quite some time ago.
A number of years ago, hhip was the only seller that I could find that was listing these holders, then afer a while, there wasn't anyone that I could find offering them for sale.
In case there might be anyone that's buying tooling these days that doesn't already know, the fit/quality of "interchangeable" parts from China (or India) is often fairly poor.
WB ......... metalworking projects www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

    They may. If the toolpost in question is a wedge style, it generally has sufficient range to grip well anyway -- just a bit more travel of the locking lever.
    However, if it is a piston style, it may be that the piston does not have sufficient travel to properly lock.

    The 16N is the only one which I know of. That one has the insert pocket sloped properly for a negative-rake insert, and with the proper insert you can get six different cutting points from it by flipping the insert over after the first three are worn -- as long as you haven't hit anything hard enough to break off the point. :-)

    You mean the only eBay seller? MSC has stocked the genuine Aloris ones for a long time now. (Granted -- they cost a lot more than the price which you mentioned. But at that time, I could not find any eBay auctions for used ones which were not closing within 10% of the new price from MSC, so I went to MSC.
    Also - there is another accuracy factor to consider -- the height of the pockets. Yes, you can adjust for a pocket too high or too low -- but if the two pockets are not the same height, you will have to re-adjust the height every time you switch from turning to facing position or back. One of the benefits of the genuine ones is that you *don't* have to touch the height adjustment when switching between positions -- assuming that you have the same type of inserts on both ends.

    Indeed so. Did you purchase either of these? And if so, what quality did you find?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Hi DoN, I was thinking it may have been you that told me about the Aloris type 16N holder, and I think you have a BXA or larger than the AXA/100 series toolpost. IIRC, the genuine Aloris holder cost was near $200 at the time, $170 now at MSC.
The orientation of the inserts on the generic imports is different than the genuine Aloris.
The tools4cheap seller is offering the larger holders, and their website prices are lower than their eBay store prices, although shipping costs may vary. http://www.tools4cheap.net/products.php?cat=9
I haven't purchased either of the holders that I mentioned earlier.. I've been looking at tools4cheap and some other sellers for 3C collets, a MT3-to-C3 adapter, and some other items. I haven't used carbide cutting tools on my wimpy machines, so these toolholders might not be useful to me until I get a better lathe, whenever that might happen. HHip states that the included inserts (AXA type 16E) are TCMT-3(2.5)1-HF. Tools4cheap states his AXA inserts are tcmt16t308 (according to his supplier).
What you said about the insert height being precise on both ends is a wise caution, since a lot of the cloned parts are often roughly-finished raw materials which require finishing or else they're just miserable to use (like the extremely poor quality HF/India AXA kit was, before I replaced it by buying Phase II wedge and a piston models).
WB ......... metalworking projects www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html
| Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

    Correct on both points.

    Hmm ... I paid $116.63 for my Aloris BXA 16N. This was from MSC, but back in early 2003

    Oh! That one is very different from mine. Mine has the cutting edge parallel to the mounting face of the toolpost instead of at 60 degrees as this one has -- and larger inserts too. I don't see any clue that this has the carbide anvils under the inserts, either. I would not touch it, personally.

    Hmm ... the proper one for the BXA-16N is the TNMG-322 (I'm using MSC's part number 07080062, though I have older ones which are not TiN coated, and also not as sharp.) The AXA-16N uses a smaller size, and presumably the CXA-16N uses larger. This is another bad point for this particular dealer of yours (tool4cheap) -- where the same insert size fits all three.

    I think a good reason to avoid both of your cheap eBay vendors.
    Hmm ... looking at the photo on the page devoted to the BXA size, I do see what looks like an anvil under the insert. Hmm ... going back to the AXA size, I guess that there may be one. But I still don't like the angle of the insert. It makes you have to rotate the toolpost to turn up to a shoulder and then face the shoulder. The CA clearly has the anvil, but the whole insert and support are too small for the lathe. CXA also has it.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
I appreciate you taking the time to add your additional comments, DoN.
You observations are always appreciated.