QC toolholders for piston and Aloris AXA QC toolpost do not work

My Enco and KBC orders arrived on the same UPS truck. When it came time to try the KBC toolholder on the Aloris AXA, I found that it does not work. The depth of the dovetail in the toolholder is too deep by about 1/8th of an inch. It rattles on the toolpost.

This appears to be a good rule of thumb - do not mix piston and wedge toolholders.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Several catalog descriptions that I've seen, state that their generic toolholders are interchangeable with Aloris and other brand toolposts. Maybe the KBC toolholder is just a reject.

I can't navigate KBC's website on 50k dialup. I see they have an Error Contest for incorrect info in their catalogs (win $1 credit, wow impressive). I would submit to KBC that their website is an error.

As I commented last week, the Phase II toolholders that came in the 2 separate sets fit the same, whether they're put on the piston post or the wedge post.

I bought a new generic toolholder on ebay a couple of years ago, and the dovetail was too wide. Instead of returning it, I fabricated a shim for it, to make it fit the crappy HF piston style post. IIRC, the holder was only about $14, so it wasn't a big deal.

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

Sounds like they sent you BXA holders.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Wow! That is huge. I was trying to make some BXA holders fit my aloris AXA wedge post recently (didn't realize they were BXA) and iirc, .012" shim made the BXA sorta fit.

I think a CXA is much bigger, can't tell you how much even though I was running a CXA equiped lathe last night making repair parts for a test cell.

Measure the width of the dovetail using some common round things in corners and give us the dimensions. I can try to check that against genuine AXA, BXA, and CXA holders to see what you have.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Width of dovetail at narrowest point is about 1.41" Width of dovetail at widest point is about 1.68" Depth of dovetail cut is .41" Height of block is 1.73"

I now notice that there is no size listed for the toolholder, no "AXA" or "BXA", nada...

1-459-202

Wes wrote:

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Yes there is. The number series is the same as the AXA, BXA, etc.

100 series is AXA, 200 series is BXA, etc. That's what Phase II uses. You bought a BXA toolholder, since its part # is -202
Reply to
woodworker88

Reply to
Louis Ohland

According to Louis Ohland :

I can't (ever) seem to get their web page -- I suspect that it requires Windows and Internet Explorer, but the "202" part of the part number suggests that it is a "Series 200" (which is Phase II's equivalent of BXA). Series 100 is AXA and so on.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Hi Don,

I got in okay with the latest Opera build (v9.23 build

8808). A quick look at the code revealed that the site uses images, javascript and frames almost to the point of ad nauseam. Ugh! So much code/crap that I'm surprised it even works. A quick validation came up with numerous errors but nothing so bad that the site shouldn't display.

You do need images on though...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

But not with Solaris 10 (a unix), Opera, with JavaScript, Cookies, and even Flash enabled. I just get the headings along the top, and a big white blank page otherwise.

Does the FireFox on Win2K happen to also support Active-X That is something which you just would not find on a Unix machine. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

Opera on what hardware and software platform?

"Images"? Where? In the "edit site preferences" panels

"Block unwanted popups"

====================

"Accept only cookies from the site I visit"

====================

"Enable GIF/SVG animation"

"Enable plug-ins" (Flash)

java and sound are turned off

====================

Enable frames

enable inline frames

show active frame border

enable styling of frames

enable styling of scrollbars

====================

Enable Javascript

Allow moving and resizing of windows

(DON'T) allow changing of status field

(DON'T) allow script to receive right clicks

Allow script to hide address bar

Open Console on Error

several Java console errors, but it won't let me cut and past those, so we'll ignore copying those.

If your Opera is running on a Windows box, that may be the difference.

If it is going to be this much work to access their web pages, I think that I just don't need to do it. I would not have tried at all, but there keep being questions posted pointing to pages there. I'll just have to train myself to ignore the questions if KBC is in the URL. :-)

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hi Don,

Comments >According to Leon Fisk :

I'm Running Windows NT4 on an old 300 Mhz PII.

My version Opera is highly customized (by me) but the standard key for images is "g". Opera has three choices/settings. Images on -> Cached images only -> no images and then it cycles through the same settings again if you keep pushing it. The site uses images with hotspots for almost all of its navigation. Without images enabled it will look almost like you have a blank screen.

I just tried accessing the site with cookies disabled (old cookies were dumped) and I got in okay so I don't think that is a problem. Normally I let cookies do what ever they want and delete them later on with a separate program if I don't want to keep them.

I have plugins disabled and I allow referrer logging (F12

->) I doubt that this matters though.

Styling of frames and scroll bars is disabled. I've never tried enabling these. Just so much eye candy IMO.

Frame border is disabled

Hide address bar is disabled

Open console is disabled

It shouldn't matter that much. The different Opera builds are pretty closely tied together. That is why they can update/release them so quickly.

Obviously you are receiving some of the page. If you want, try and save the page you get and send it to me via email. I'll try loading it locally on my system. You should be able to figure out my email looking at my sig okay. You can just send a quick test mail first if you want.

Just for the heck of it I used Wget to save a complete Home page

I instructed Wget to change all directory entries to just a common one. I zipped it up and you can find it here (~640k):

I added one extra file to the zip, "screen-shot.jpg" which is what the home page looks like on my Opera. This was the page I saved too and loaded locally in off-line mode.

You can send me an email if you want to try working on this some more and don't want to stray too far off-topic.

Reply to
Leon Fisk