Armstrong QC Toolposts

Does anyone know if Armstrong QC toolposts/holders are compatible wit

the Aloris style dovetail? Armstrong doesn't show them on thei website. Can't find any reference to them on Google either.

Thanks,

Joe

-- Joepy

Reply to
Joepy

Don't think they make them. I've never seen any nor have I seen them advertised new or used. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

I have both an Armstrong piston and an Aloris wedge post and a mix of Armstrong and Aloris holders. Everything swaps around with no problems.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks Ned (and Steve). I'm still curious as to who sells the dar things. I sure couldn't find any info whatsoever on the Web.

-Jo

-- Joepy

Reply to
Joepy

kbc tools for one

Brent Philion
[ ... Armstrong QC toolposts ... ]

Also -- MSC

At least I remember seeing them in the catalog last time I was looking through for toolposts and holders.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Armstrong QCTPs are clones of like-sized Aloris QCTPs, just as Dorian QCTPs are.

An Armstrong holder will fit an Aloris post, and an Aloris holder will fit on an Armstrong post.

Just about everyone has adopted the Aloris dimensions.

This, for conventional, nonindexable QCTPs.

For indexable QCTPs, there might not be complete interchangeability even within one brand, although Aloris' indexable QCTP will accept two conventional holders simultaneously, and four of the special I-type holders simultaneously.

The dovetails are the same, for the same size post, but the ends are chamfered 45 degrees on the special I-type holders.

Reply to
peterh5322

Well ... not true *clones*. The dovetail dimensions are the same, assuring interchangablity, but the locking mechanisms may be different.

The Dorian (IIRC) has a plunger on the back dovetail surface which acts to pull the front dovetail tighter.

The genuine Aloris (except for the piston style ones, which are a *lot* less common) have an angled sliding part which increases the width of the dovetail, accomplishing the same purpose.

The Phase-II are similar to the Aloris -- both the wedge style (which I have) and the piston style (which I have avoided).

I don't know exactly *what* the Armstrong locking mechanism may be, as I have not had a chance to examine one closely enough.

So -- call them *functional* clones, but not *true* clones.

Indeed so. Even the Phase-II ones, which use a different nomenclature for the sizes (e.g. "Series 100", "Series 200" and the like, instead of "AXA or "BXA".) I think that at least one other maker (perhaps it is Dorian) uses the Phase-II nomenclature.

The critical ones, at least. The mechanisms may differ. I suspect that Phase-II got into the game after Aloris' patents on the wedge style design had expired, while Dorian had to come up with something else which worked as well.

I might someday be interested in one of these, but for the moment, I can't even quite swing affording a new Aloris wedge style toolpost. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

My two 10EEs were each treated to brand-new Aloris BXA-I sets, complete with extra holders, the optional anti-rotating devices, and factory-made T-nuts, all from one lucky eBay auction.

Incredibly, the antirotation devices and T-nuts had been ordered for a

10EE, although that fact was not stated in the auction information. In fact, the auction information didn't even mention that the antirotation accessories were provided.

But, it turned out to be a plug-in-and-go solution, for me.

The best part: my winning high bid for the two BXA-I posts, the wrenches to operate them by, the two custom ground anti-rotation accessories, the two custom T-nuts, and eight holders for each post, cost $385, which is less than the cost of a single BXA post and one holder alone. $2,500 worth of Aloris stuff for $385.

The seller advertised them as BXAs, and BXA-is were then perhaps so new that most potential buyers were put-off by these weird-looking (compared to BXA) posts and holders. Not many bids, and mine was the highest.

Two happy 10EEs, one happy pocket book.

Reply to
Peter Haas

AXA (wedge) = AX (piston) = 100 = same dovetail

BXA (wedge) = BX (piston) = 200 = same dovetail

Etcetera.

Aloris went to great lengths to ensure compatibility within a series of post, but not across a series.

BX posts are slightly wider than AX posts.

Now, KDK makes all their posts the same width dovetail, excepting the discontinued 00 size.

But, KDK posts, holders, kits and repair parts can take six months to get delivery, and are proprietary, whereas Aloris-type holders are universal, and if your dealer doesn't have on brand, you just go with another.

Reply to
Peter Haas