Clausing drill press info

I was in need of a multi-spindle drill for a couple of operations and of course I immediately called Joe at Autodrill. Joe taught me multi drilling

101 and quoted several solutions. So, I start looking for a drill press to run Joe's head and found this Clausing at the used machine supermarket for $500. Unfortunately for Joe it just happened to have a "Commander Multi-Drill #900" 6 spindle head. (Sorry, Joe)

The drill press, model 2224, doesn't fit the current offerings from Clausing and I'm hoping to find a manual and parts list. It has a 1.5 hp 3 ph motor and a gear-driven feed. I'm thinking of putting the head on another drill press and putting this one in the machine shop 'cause it is just sooo sweet! It has a slotted oil-pan table and has to weigh 700 lbs.

Does anyone have one of these drill presses or drill heads that can share some info? I will try to get some info from Clausing and Multi-Drill.

Reply to
Tom Gardner
< Tom Gardner nospam Apr 18, 9:07 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking From: "Tom Gardner" - Find messages by this author Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:07:50 GMT Local: Mon,Apr 18 2005 9:07 am Subject: Clausing drill press info Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

[...]

Good buy. The commander model 900 is a good unit. The current model is probably a little diferent than what you have. They changed the driveshafts to slip on hex models. It can take up to 8 spindles, has a 3 HP capacity and doubles the speed of the drills. *-3/8" drlling area or 22-1/2" with extension spindles. Reynolds Machine Tool (RMT) owns them. damn expensive parts. They will send you a catalogue or fax info. Look them up on the web also. I have about 40 heads in our plant and along time ago used to be the guy tasked with fixing and tooling them.

Clausing should still have parts and manuals for this drill press, although they are now even more crazy expensive. Good luck.

Reply to
Greg

The guy at RMT suggested that I throw away the 900 head and buy a new 950 for $2,700. (Jerk) He no longer supplies parts for the 900 and was very put-out to talk to me. Let me know if you have any parts for the 900 that you can sell, it's missing 1 spindle and I could use all 6, then I could paletize 2 jobs without moving spindles, a 4-hole and a 2 hole.

The lady at clausing is sending a manual for my model and serial for $5...nice lady!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

this

supermarket

another

Multi-Drill.

spindles.

If he is still there the person to talk to at RMT is Don Alpert he is good. I have the parts list and other info for that model. If you have a fax number contact me privately and I will fax it or whatever.

AS far as parts go I might have some for you. Do you have the pin on U joints on top or the hex slip on? RMT still sells almost all the parts for that head, but you would have to convert to the slip on U joints. It costs alot to keep them running with parts so make sure that the U jopints get lubricated daily. You will also need collets for your drills if you have that style. About $26 as I recall. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Boo!

CLIP...

Clausing may be able to offer it to you... But it is not going to be easy to find.

Free tip...

is me...
is Commander.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

Joe AutoDrill

You might benefit from searching for a used Commander head that happens to have salvageable parts... I see them on eBay somewhat often but generally those that need work need lots of it and the parts might be of no use.

As for $2700?!? Jeez. Now I know why I am so busy these days. :)

Nice... I wish their new units were a bit more affordable. I'd push a lot of my smaller/fewer hole customers to them over Delta and Jet. They simply make a great machine that is predictable as far as parts and all...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Sorry, I couldn't pass it up! The Clausing is a 20", got the book today. There are a few flaws in the paint though and it's BLUE, I hate BLUE machines. One of the spindles needs a bush and I will need collets and a U-jonit seems sloppy. Next time Joe, I promice!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hey... No offense taken here. I wish you much success!

As for it being blue... You could truck it over to the local body shop and have it painted or powder coated some really random color... Maybe some of that stuff that changes color depending on the angle and lighting?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I just scored 8 assorted drill presses, mostly Walker-Turner/Rockwell, a couple Deltas and some Kings. One has a turret on it with 4 chucks, another has a Commander with 3 chucks.

I cant figure out how to get the 4 chuck unit off the spindle. Any ideas? There are no obvious setscrews etc etc. It works fine, but the work height is damned short with the critter on it.

I dont recall the name of the turret, but the chucks are on a 45 degree angle in a circle.

Its a bench top Walker Turner that Im taking home along with the big assed Buffalo #18 bench top drill press. It has a 3ph 3/4hp motor on it thats going to get a VFD. It has a MT3 spindle nose. That puppy out to spin a pretty good sized bit.

Now I can get rid of the Taiwanese drill presses at home and have a mostly US Iron shop.

Gunner