Making gears with mills/indexing heads

Forgot to say. That guy is also selling an "indexing head". I am only beginning to realize that, possibly, I could make gears using an indexing head. Is that true?

Ignoramus7702

That's right! I have made several gears with my horizontal mill and index head. You need a gear cutter for doing spur gears which are available from many tooling suppliers. You can make reasonably good worm wheels with simple shop-made cutters or even with taps. One of these days I mean to set up a gear train to the index head and try hobbing some gears.

The book "Gear Cutting Practice" by Colvin and Stanley (1937) is a good book to get your feet wet learning the terminology and techniques. You can order it through Lindsay. Another good one is "Gears and Gear Cutting", by Ivan Law, which is more appropriate for home shop machinists with basic equipment. It shows how to make shop-made gear cutters, among other things. I ordered a copy from Amazon, it is published in the UK.One day I will make the form-relieving tool shown there and make some interesting cutters.

Al

Reply to
Alan Raisanen

Thank you!