Thoughts on various makes of tapping heads?

I've been looking for a tapping head. There seem to be three common makes: Tapmatic, Procunier, or Ettco. Does anyone have experience with these? Recommendations? Ones to avoid? Other makes to look for?

I'm looking for something for relatively small taps (1/4" and down) to be used mostly in aluminum. Will eventually get something used off Ebay.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

I've used only Tapmatic, but actually *have* two procuniers--go figger! Most shops I walk into seem to have procunier.

The lore is, from peeple who profess to know both, is that the procunier's are much easier/cheaper to fix, simpler. They seem sturdier, or mebbe they're just clunkier! Sposedly procunier uses cork or sumpn for a clutch, just gotta oil it.

I know for a fact that tapmatic charges an effing fortune for parts/rebuilds. Sposedly a lot of their rebuilds come from people tryna fix them themselves, then all the goddamm springs pop out, then you gotta send'em back to tapmatic--sposedly...

If I'm dead wrong on all this, at least you know about the incorrect lore running around!

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

The Tapmatics can have a clutch adjustment that can help avoid breaking taps. They also have a certain amount of self feed so shallow holes can be a problem. Procuniers have a clutch that grips the jarder you push on the tap. With practice you can tap very small holes with these but they do require the operator to develop a feel for using the head. Since there is no self feed it is very easy to tap shallow hoiles and to tap holes right to the bottom without breaking the tap. I have and use both tapmatic and procunier heads. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Procunier. Tapmatic has probably got something better than when I last used one, don't know. I have 3 Procuniers in my shop.

mike

Reply to
michael

I've used several makes and prefer the Procunier over all of them. Very good, trouble-free tapping head, and easy to use. They're particularly nice if you have a spindle with good feel.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

The best one you can buy today is the Procunier but I have an old Ettco-Emerick that I dearly love. It has no wind up and is the smoothest of any unit I have ever seen. It holds the record in our shop, producing seven completed parts/minute with one tapped hole in each. I have no use for Tapmatic as the things get stuck when the clutch slips and then you have to back them out by hand as the clutch slips just as much when you are backing up as going forward. The Procunier has a pressure sensitive clutch and is way ahead of Tapmatic. Leigh@MarMachine

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

I have only used Procunier and TapMatic (generic TapMatics too) and each have their place. The Procunier needs some skill/feel to use on small holes but will do, as mentioned in other posts, shallow holes without a problem. I prefer the tapmatic for idiots to use and only on non critical holes, you can set the clutch and be relatively safe in walking away while the operator does his thing. The tapMatic is terriffic for small shallow roll-tap holes though cause you can set the clutch real light and just push the part on and off the tap by hand letting the tap bottom out and slip the clutch. Real fast and as accurate as your hands are as long as you are using roll-taps.

JohnF

Reply to
JohnF