God Save the Delta Queen

Not normally given to editorializing on NGs, I would like to share with you a message from a Kentucky resident. It has been sent to several members of Congress to bring scrutiny to the plight of the Delta Queen as she fights once again to gain exemption from S.O.L.A. (Safety of Life at Sea Law):

"As a constituent and concerned citizen, I am appealing to you, Sir, in the most earnest manner I am capable of to elicit your support in saving the steamboat Delta Queen.

As a Kentuckian, I know her significance, especially every May during the Derby Festival. One of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen was driving along the Ohio River near Maysville, in the pouring rain, coming up on a hill, and was met with the beautiful sight of that boat with the calliope playing, going up the river. I had to pull over to the side of the road and get out to take pictures. It was just me, the river, and that boat. I never dreamed I would actually see her going up the river like that. It was one of the most magical moments of my life that I will never forget. I know as a Kentuckian that you, too, can appreciate her.

Please do not believe the unmitigated hog-wash set forth by Rep. Oberstarr in his attempt to rob the American public of this most valuable National Historic Landmark. The Delta Queen is no more "unsafe" than any other modern vessel on the waterways of the United States. Rep. Oberstarr's reference, before Congress, to the Sultana disaster of 1865 was a stupid charade and a blatant insult to the intelligence of its members.

In addition to employment for its citizens, the US will have lost a vital piece of history if the Delta Queen is killed off in a shallow and shameful display of politics. No! Safety is no more an issue now than in the past eighty two years, during which the Delta Queen has been certified by our Coast Guard for safe operation.

Very sincerely"

Reply to
Robert Swinney

message from a

scrutiny to the plight

(Safety of Life at Sea

That's really annoying. I've never ridden it but I got to go on board once when it was at Chattanooga. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk