AP in the news

{3115E3B9-96D2-4E2F-B479-ED5E121A1359}&groupName=AP%20Top%20California%20Headlines&siteGUID={3B62BF55-4A93-48E6-A45D-6A495DC423AD}

-- """Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

So if the BATFE doesn't get their way, then we also have to worry about the EPA?

Reply to
By-Tor

Do you know how EPA determined the threshold of tolerance for "perchlorates"?

They asked the vendor that just invented a new wiz-bang tester what the maximum sensitivity was and they used that.

No significant science.

No vendor surveys.

No significant medical testing or consultation.

Wiz bang.

Do you know how those perchlorates got into the water table (the insignificant levels)?

  1. Acid rain
  2. Farming
  3. GOVERNMENT secret programs that dumped chemicals indiscriminately because they were EXEMPT. Still are. Remember the controversy about Groom Lake where people were dying and getting wierd diseases? President Clinton declared it a secret site and exempt from regulation.

That wouldn't have been so bad had he also guaranteed the medical expenses for the affected persons. Nope. They don't exist either.

Your government hard at work generating jurisdiction for itslef. Guess who has to pay for the fines and "clean-up"? The owner of the land where the (underground) run-off runs TO.

Gotta love a self serving government with enough rules to fill literally

1000 phone books.

Freedom is dead.

Just Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

{3115E3B9-96D2-4E2F-B479-ED5>

E121A1359}&groupName=AP%20Top%20California%20Headlines&siteGUID={3B62BF55-4A

93-48E6-A45D-6

I'm not so sure the ppm levels of percs in most areas their are as worry some as they are hand wringing about. Those in the true know feel free to correct me, this sounds like a knee jerk from the PRK.

the EPA in ohio kicked my R/C club off a land fill. PCBs over the 50 years so bad they said, we would die standing on the land fill flying planes. they fenced it off and locked it up. 6 years later a Food Store Super center was built on the site selling food to the richest suburb in the area now.

I guess that 2" of dirt they took away was all that was going to kill us. Forget that Transformers are buried deep under that food super center.

Art

Reply to
ArtU

So what's their underlying motive for deciding that anything detectable is objectionable? Is this a "follow the money" thang? Who's lining whose pockets here?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Fully. And Federal too.

:)

Yet another example of "it's the government, it doesn't have to make sense."

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So far the three major AP test well studies I am aware of resulted in no actionable levels despite the wiz bang. But that does not stop the hysteria which makes AP manufacturers nervous and AP manufacturer insurers even more nervous.

After the hysteria started AP prices went up 30%. All with no lawsuits or real actionable finds.

And the waterfall of county, state and local agency "extra care" is impossible to cost target because more often than not, it just results in denials of permits out of latent fear of the unknown.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I thinbk we have to worry about the EPA regardless, but let's not open a new front just yet.

Wells in Hills, Iowa have been found to be contamonated with perchlorate. They have not identified the source yet, but they are providing bottled drinking water.

Reply to
Alan Jones

And I would wager that the phrase "we used to make stuff with that for the gummin't" or "the government used ot use that stuff 'round here" will be the justification for not explaining who the contaminator is, and for why cleanup will not be paid for

Reply to
a0002604

They have not identified the source yet, but they are providing bottled drinking water. >>

I wonder just how "contaminated" it is?

Reply to
RayDunakin

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com:

Dunno, but the odds that model rocket motors are somehow responsible for contamination must be pretty long. The entire hobby industry can't use more than a few 10s of thousands of pounds of AP per year. I'm sure the scrap from one shuttle SRB load is more than all the AP that's ever been used for hobby motors.

Reply to
David W.

I thought the only waste product of the burning of APCP worth noting is HCL (hydrochloric acid)

Reply to
Darnon

Much of the scrap perchlorate entering the environment may well have been KP from the road flare industry - possibly more than from all rocket use.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I don't know about the precise makeup of the products of burning APCP, but I'm pretty sure that AP itself isn't one of them.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Well, you have NH4ClO4 making up Ammonium Perchlorate amd combusting with oxygen... I'm no chemist, but by my figuring you're probably making ammonia, hydrochloric acid, water, and maybe oxygen. Like I said, though, I'm no chemist.

Reply to
Darnon

You never really get a perfect or complete stoichiometric mixture or reaction; there's always more or less of one reagent or another, incomplete reactions, secondary reactions, expelled oxidizer/fuel/binder, etc. I'm certain there's AP and other perchlorate residues from an APCP motor firing, but in a design burn it will be a very small fraction of the original amount.

Reply to
Gary