flying RC in Springfield MO area

We're planning to move from Kansas City to the Springfield Missouri area some time this summer.

What is the RC scene like there? Do most folks fly at AMA clubs? I've heard that people fly at the downtown airport. Is membership required? How about other sites? We plan to live out in the country, so I'm hoping to find a nice hayfield close by, but I don't mind flying at a general RC site. I'm kind of spoiled by the Jackson County RC sites. The one at Lake Jacomo where I've been flying for years has huge paved and grass runways and excellent facilities, but I'm comfortable with change.

How about float flying? I've lived in KC for 11 years and never have found a decent place for water flying less than an hour away from home. I built a 20 sized float plane years ago and had to fly it from my uncle's farm pond which was only about 40 feet in diameter. That was kind of nerve-wracking. Are there any good water sites near Springfield?

I went to a decent RC shop on the east side of town, inside the highway loop, about 6 or 7 years ago. Do they still have good local stores there where I can buy Monokote and glue, and hang up planes to sell?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Hi Robert, I spent 30 years in KC north until moving down to Harrison, Arkansas back in '92, 85 mi south of Springfield. I wasn't into RC until the last three years, and don't know anything about the clubs in Springfield, but one very good hobby shop is Sleeths, just a half block east of the intersection Glenstone & Sunshine. Not big, but well stocked and fair prices. I think I've heard of another in town, but I haven't been there. Drive to Branson, and there's another very nice one, TPA Hobby Center in Holister (south suburb of Branson). Shouldn't be a problem finding a good place to fly floats, there's lakes about any direction you go - our club goes up to Bull Shoals, right on the MO/AR border. I think you'll really like the Springfield lifestyle as compared to KC, although it's slowly growing into another big city, but still lots tamer than KC. I was only mugged & shot once while in KC.. d:->))

Cheers'n Beers.. [_]) Don

Reply to
ManhattanMan

Sleeth's hobby store was the one I visited a few years ago. How could I forget that name? I don't remember much about the shop, but I remember it being pretty good.

My uncle used to run a fishing tour service on Bull Shoals lake back in the 60s and 70s. Never been there myself...

Yeah, I can't wait to get back out to the country. I grew up in the country and I've been living in cities since 1991....Dallas, Portland Maine, and Kansas City. I've had enough. It's time to get back to the peace and quiet.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds