A trip to the Zeppelin Plant

The company I work for sent me and some others from our plant to Friedrichshafen Germany to the Zeppelin plant to inspect equipment and observe the operation of a new line we are getting.

We went to the Zeppelin Museum and got to go in the passenger compartment of a re-creation of the Hindenburg. It was interesting to see the construction of the Hindenburg was similar to what I have seen in homebuilt aluminum aircraft. They had an assorment of rivet squeezers on display. It looked like the Zeppelin structure was squeezer friendly and I doubt they needed bucking bars and hammers very much. They showed the roll forms and the various stages of formed aluminum channels. They also showed the stampings from blank to finished for the parts between channels. The structure was made from sections similar to TV antenna towers with 3 channels and the stamped pieces rivited between them.

They wouldn't let us take pictures in the Museum but much of what they had has pictures available on the internet. They had Zeppelin engines up to 16 cylinder 500hp and a Prop I would estimate to be 20ft dia or maybe more.

The plant in Friedrichshafen makes silos and material handling systems, etc. We saw some big slip roll forming equipment and such for making the large silos. Their silos were TIG welded together.

I think they had something to do with making the Goodyear blimps and they have a few Zeppelin blimps in Germany. They had some parts of a Zeppelin blimp they were in the process of constructing. The Zeppelins they build now are 12 passenger and the length of the Hindenburgs Aileron (that's what they said, I think they might have been speaking of what I would call the tail fins).

There is nothing left of the original plants because the area was heavily bombed in the last days of WWII. The old Zeppelin airships were recycled to make warplanes and the V-2 rocket engines were made "there", I'm not sure if "there" meant the Zeppelin plant or another plant in the city.

Gasoline in Germany was 1.40 Euros per litre, I haven't calculated it out but with the exchange rates and all it would come out to about $7-$8 per gallon.

RogerN

Reply to
Roger_N

A more telling question is,,, how much are they paying for gasoline? Now that you have told us how much they are paying for gasoline plus taxes, ie... what is the tax burden on on litre of gasoline?

George

Reply to
George

With my eyes I was lucky to see the 1.40 per litre :-)

Reply to
Roger_N

What a lucky guy!

My wife and I, our oldest son and his German girl friend went on a trip around Southern Germany in 1991. We visited the museum one Sunday. That was great, but your seeing the current factory would have been more fun.

We are so close, but have never been to the Tillamook Oregon blimp base/hanger. Have to see it if I ever get retired.

Best regards,

Paul in Central Oregon

Reply to
co_farmer

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 14:20:02 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, George quickly quoth:

About half the gas price, 65.45 cents/litre in 2003.

-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Roger_N" wrote in news:FXy4j.1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sisna.com:

I love visiting Germany. I've been there quite a few times for my company. It's almost a totally different culture over there. The only thing that really SUX about it, is that 9 hr over/11 hr back plane ride. That's a long time to be packed in an aluminum can like sardines. (And they do pack you in too.)

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks Roger and Larry, that sort of puts it in true perspective, doesn't it?

George

Reply to
George

People complain about oil company profits, yet even in the US, government _takes_ more than oil companies _make_ on a gallon of gasoline. Another way to look at it is that the hated Lee Raymond sold us full tanks, Uncle Sam stiffs us with empty promises. And of course, Lee had competitors; last I looked, the IRS and wannabes still uses threats, coercion, and force to get what they want.

I am not saying that I want coal ash landing on my roof and nuclear waste in the gutters, but how in the hell can any thinking person believe that allowing government to double the price of fuels is going to lead to any good whatsoever. Look at their track record in every other endeavor - they seem to get nothing right except stealing from Peter to buy Paul's vote. And when it all goes wrong, they tell us that the problem is that our taxes are too low.

End of rant.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Next time change the f****ng subject header!

Reply to
Rick

The Tillamook Museum had a pretty nice collection of old aircraft as well. It has been 10 years or more since I was there, but I remember it being a fun place!

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Sorry to have offended you, I was merely commenting on subject matter the OP included in his post.

George

Reply to
George

It's worth the trip, and the Evergreen museum (spruce goose and a lot of other aircraft) is less than 2 hours away.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Count yourself lucky. My one trip to Germany was on a DC-7

Yup 355 Mph cruise, do da math.

They changed out two engines before we left the airport and I broke out with measles on the way. No they were not German. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

It was a fine rant.