Took some photos in the shop today....

Pardon the dust and a little rust.

Just my hobby shop. Damned dogs romp and chase each other all through
the yard and shop and I can dust on Sunday..by Saturday its covered
again. Living here in the desert has its ups and downs....shrug
1. Lie
Gunner
Just looks like junk. No wonder you can't earn a living with any of it.
Reply to
Fred C. Dobbs
Nice!
Reply to
Ray Keller
Quite impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to
Steve from Colorado
Earn a living? What part of "hobby shop" did you fail to understand?
Oh..thats right...all of it was beyond you.
If its not based on modeling clay..you arent allowed to touch it.
And only edible clay at that.
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Reply to
Gunner
It's obvious some people have never seen what can come out of some "third world" shops. I've seen many that make that look like a "sterile environment" - and turn out some beautiful work.
I'll bet half the chinese and Indian job shops that much of North America outsources to are no better.
Reply to
clare
I've seen plenty of the equipment that comes out of "third world" shops like Gummer's. It has to be stripped down and completely rebuilt if you want a decent piece of equipment.
Many of the more successful Chinese shops are modernizing and improving.
Reply to
Jonathan Banquer
Don't you feel the need to spend thousands of dollars on your place fixing it up so your property value will increase? Just think of the advantage of being able to pay more property tax every year because you spent money and labor on your place to make it more pleasing to other peoples eyes!
Some around here build their house inside a pole barn just to save on property taxes. I can't figure out how the government thinks they deserve a reward because a person fixes their place up. I'll take a shit hole in appearance over paying a premium for a premium home plus paying another premium in property taxes. My grandfathers home was around $1000 per month in property taxes alone because he spent his life earnings to have a nice retirement home.
When I visited Germany I saw many old homes, we were told that a price for a modest home was 500,000 (euros or dollars?). They spend this kind of money to have a house that will last 300 years but I didn't meet anyone that had lived in their house for 300 years. I think the Israelites had the right idea when they lived in tents. I want more than a tent, but nothing elaborate.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
Very impressive. This is no sissy stuff. Most women would have no idea what those are. Those are real man's toys.
Reply to
Mighty Wannabe
Why are you bitching about metal working only but doing it in alt.survival and misc.survivalism?
Face it, you and Gunner are the same sort of animal. Political zealots that just have to inflict yourselves on every aspect of life.
(Yes, I know I sent this to the two metal groups also as I'm commenting on posts that have appeared there AND are spam to both pairs of groups.)
Reply to
Winston_Smith
I'd expect that with most non-union shops. They couldn't modernize if it slapped 'em in the face. They tend to wanna do things their own way. The way their fathers and grandfathers and on and on do things. (they'd probably say something like "this is how we've been doing things for thousands of years" - Pathetic)
Reply to
Basement Bandy
fixing
Pearls. Swine.
Reply to
Basement Bandy
And it is easy to make money with such a shop also.
Ignoramus6127
Most of this stuff Was stripped down and completely rebuilt.
Did you notice the gear box from the Hardinge tool room lathe on the bench in the machine end of the shop? Its being rebuilt. Then my 1989 Hardinge will be accurate again when cutting threads.
I just dont spend a lot of time worrying about paint. Shrug
You seem to forget what I do for a living.
So are the Maquadoras.
And? This is my hobby shop. Where I go and putter in the evenings and on weekends.
And the fun part is..I dont have $5k invested in all of it. That includes fuel to go pick it up.

Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Reply to
Gunner
Crom no!
Hell...that rollup door on the end hardly ever gets opened. Frankly..I dont want the neighbors or the tax collector to see what I have in there. In fact...they just dropped my property taxes to $220 a year.
And I live in California.
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Reply to
Gunner
Ive taught women to run many of those machines along with a few local kids. One of my roommates wants me to set up one of the CNC lathes I have tucked away out in the bone yard so she can make jewelry on it.
Anybody who wants to learn to machine, or to see how its done is more than welcome to come over and make chips. Ive got some retired guys who use the stuff regularly as well. Have a friend in a wheel chair about 70ish who was a machinist for Chevron that comes over..but its not set up for wheelchair work very well..so I got the guy his own Southbend lathe and a couple of us rigged up his garage into his own workshop and set him up fopr wheel chair access. But he comes over to visit and critique my work pretty regularly. I think his wife appreciates having the old fart out of the house...chuckle
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Reply to
Gunner
Being too material leads to stress.
Don't want to over do it, or you'll be two tents.
.
I think the Israelites had the right idea when they lived in tents. I want more than a tent, but nothing elaborate.
RogerN
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
There are many shops in many parts of the world that do surprizingly good work with a lot less than Gunner's shop has.Throughout central America, Africa, and Asia. Keeping the dirt out is a full time job.
Reply to
clare
You're making perfect sense in general but none at all in the case at hand. Anyone capable of accurate and profitable work with old equipment would be capable of adding a fourth wall to his building and sealing the floor, thereby dramatically lessening the dirt problem. Instead of doing that he blames his dogs! And in the first world even the smartest and most hard working with old equipment would be fighting a major battle against the issues of time and efficiency. Which would preclude the luxury of writing about his serial adventures such as the 264 mph motorcycle ride. Them's the facts Jack.
Reply to
whoyakidding
Check out the pictures of the inspection equipment he has. Note the lame attempt to try and protect said inspection equipment from dirt. If you look closely at the bottom of the cabinet containing his inspection equipment you can see just how much dirt has made its way into the cabinet. He's an idiot who has no idea how to hold tight tolerances or how to properly measure said tolerances.
Reply to
Jonathan Banquer