Interesting machine

"6 station milling machine" with total of 280 HP, not counting two hydraulic power units.

Ignoramus13603

And you bought it to make Russian Field Jacket buttons, da? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, jeez. I hope you're not planning to buy it. That's the kind of machine you used to see in the automobile industry -- 40 years ago.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I already bought it. I hope that it weighs 50 tons.

Ignoramus13603

Yikes, that will take a week or two to dismantle and truck. I know you have a big building, but can you even fit all that in with the other stuff you have?

Reply to
Pete C.

That one goes straight to a scrap yard. I may save a few bits and pieces, though.

Ignoramus13603

For scrap, I assume?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes, definitely. A few useful things can be saved from it, but it is a patently useless machine that no one can figure out, anyway. I hope that it weighs 50 tons. I did see it.

Ignoramus13603

I would think the motors and hydraulic power units would be more valuable as-is than as-scrap.

Reply to
Pete C.

I agree with you, especially about the motors. The power units, I am not so sure, although I would hate to scrap them. The motors are great, there is a lot of multiples on them. Good for phase converters or whatever.

Ignoramus20730

Well, it should have LOTS of useful parts in it. Lots of hydraulic valves, maybe even some Moog proportional servo valves.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yes, here are the categories of things that I thought about

0) Steel 1) Electric motors 2) Copper wire 3) [possibly] hydraulic units, they look nice. 4) Hydraulic valves 5) Servo motors 6) Servo control by A-B 7) Hydraulic oil, I have someone who buys oil from me 8) Electrical controls
Reply to
Ignoramus20730

He's probably going to kill somebody one of these days soon; he's got zero formal training and most of his "rigging" is junk that someone else has discarded for safety issues.

IIRC, he's already come close at least once, while disassembling an overhead crane.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

You recall incorrectly. He witnessed some hacks nearly get killed disassembling an overhead crane, he had nothing to do with it.

Reply to
Pete C.

You are correct. Someone else was doing the dismantling. Those people are scrap metal gypsies (Romani).

I never buy overhead cranes, as a matter of fact, due to safety concerns. Too heavy and too high for me to deal with. You need two big telehandlers to remove them safely.

So much venom from this "precisionmachinist", all because I killfiled him for off-topic posts. Doubtfully this is a successful , well adjusted individual.

Ignoramus28030

No, you use the crane itself--something you'd know if you had any real rigging experience.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

What did you pay for alladat?

You can proly estimate the weight pretty well. Steel weighs 480#/cu ft, ditto copper, brass (approx), or 60# per 6" cube. You could proly visually estimate an avg "spatial density" of select measurable volumes pretty well, and come up with a grand total, good to +/-

15%.

I imagine it is going to take quite some time disassembling alladat, on top of the rigging itself.

Reply to
Existential Angst

A lot!

I am still learning this scrap business.

My best guess is that there is 50 short tons of steel in it. (I hate short tons, but scrap yards here operate in short tons)

My another guess is that disassembly and rigging, will take 4 days.

Ignoramus19014

He makes everybody feel better about themselves!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Since this equipment will never be put into operation as-is again, assuming it's ok with the place you're removing it from, don't be afraid to separate sections with a big abrasive cutoff saw or for tighter areas an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby, but that will be the fastest way to get through mixed materials and get on with the loading. Sawzalls are good too, but an abrasive wheel will beat them for time on most materials.

Reply to
Pete C.