Interesting machine

Good suggestions. Followed of course by a Blue Point Wrench.

  1. Lie
Gunner

This is definitely torch and chopsaw territory!

Ignoramus19014

Still being coy?? Sheeit, we ARE your 24/7 bidniss/tech consultants, so you SHOULD divulge details.....

100,000# at 10c/# (retail) would be that place's expectation of scrap payment ($10K), less what they'd have to pay to bring it to a yard. So if you paid $10K, you paid waaaaay too much. $5K would proly be too much. Well..... am I getting close?? LOL

But the parts value could be considerable. Old motors, tho, were not renowned for efficiency. New Baldors (and others) are topping 98% (claimed) effic -- ackshooly, for quite some time now..

Everybody uses short tons... easy conversion, I spose. 2,000#, right?

100,000# is about 200 cu ft of steel, or about 7 cu yds, or one cube about 6 ft on an edge. If you "melted" alladat down, it should then fill those volumes. If that seems visually reasonable, then dats proly what you got. If not, you need to re-estimate.

I'da thought more, but still in the ballpark. I don't scrap, just bring my own shit to the yard in m'pickup, and DATS time-consuming. Dead LEAVES are time-consuming.... lol

Reply to
Existential Angst

I paid 6k.

Scrap yards pay me 290 per short ton, and with this much I hope that I can get 300/ton.

There is steel, copper wire, electrical controls, valves, hydraulic power units, and motors, among the sellable parts.

This is not how I estimate, I go by known machines (like "cincinnati vertical mill 14k lbs) and think, how many of those would be about equivalent to this machine.

I am not great at estimating yet. But I have to learn. I keep spreadsheets of how much I make from scrap machines.

I used to do the same thing.

Ignoramus19014

You should do alright.... proly not a windfall, but still worthwhile. Depending on how you handle "parts", tho, you might have some of those for a while. Thank gawd for ebay....

If I had the money, space, I'd put alladis in a "manufacturing museum". Lord knows, Merka already needs one.....

Reply to
Existential Angst

It is not really that good for a museum, it is not like steam punk or some such. There is nothing remarkable about this, except the size.

Ignoramus19014

But in one way or another , we all milk RCM for personal gain. If we did not get something from RCM , why would we log on.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Entertainment, silly goose...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Got yourself a nice plasma cutter yet? Might be a good job for one.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

This is heavier stuff, cutting bolts etc. Plus it will be at the job site, not at my place.

Reply to
Ignoramus19014

Plasma cutters can not cut very thick metal. Most plasma cutters are limited to an inch or less , but do work on stainless.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It would not be practical to use a plasma cutter for scrapping machines. Many reasons, such as them not being as portable, needing compressed air, electricity etc, cut thickness and so on.

Ignoramus19014

The American Precision Museum, which is full of old machine tools, wouldn't touch something like that.

They wouldn't even take my little 1917 Taylor & Fenn knee mill. I tried. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

How about one of those oxygen lance things?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Who's our resident plasma cutting expert?

Questions: How critical is it to have super dry air? Will running it from a freshly drained compressor tank hurt it? Would inline filter driers work, such as are used at the ends of spray painting air lines?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes and?

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

"Most"?

Many can do up to 1.5" in Burn/Gouge mode.

Thats in Single Pass. You can burn that same amount in the second pass..and in the third....

My Miller 2050 is rated at 3/4"

Ive cut 2" steel with it.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

But in one way or another , we all milk RCM for personal gain. =================================================

There are soldiers, and mercenaries. There are swinging doors, and ratchet-and-pawl turnstiles.... There's milking, and chewing off the nipple. Etc.

Ultimately, you are correct in some sense -- most here ARE getting something out of this relatively one-way exchange. But it reminds me of the super-great Yellow Pages ads, years back: You had to guess the subject from the skit, in this case: Oh, enough of me, let's talk about YOU, now, dear: What do YOU think about my latest movie????

Subject: Vanity Cases.....

Look, ig, I'm sure, is a tax-paying patriot, who loves his kids. I'm just sayin we should all get a tip, at Xmas.....

Reply to
Existential Angst

You did note that plasma cutter requires three phase power, oxygen , and Argon. Not exactly what I would call a portable machine.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

In my opinion, the saga of Bridgeport Interact CNC conversion was such a tip, lots of useful information was posted.

Ignoramus5578