Bring a gun have some fun in LV

Dedication today for Clark County Shooting Park The Associated Press Posted: 08/25/2009 04:01:19 AM PDT

LAS VEGAS-Local and federal officials are scheduled to attend a ceremony to mark progress on a $60 million Clark County Shooting Park at the facility in northwest Las Vegas. U.S. Sens. Harry Reid and John Ensign, Congresswoman Shelley Berkley and Nevada Gov. Jim Gibbons are due to join Clark County Commissioners Rory Reid and Tom Collins for the 10 a.m. Tuesday dedication at the shooting range at the northern end of Decatur Boulevard.

A 148-acre first phase is expected to open by December with trap, skeet, archery, pistol, rifle and shotgun ranges, plus a pro shop, classrooms and cafeteria.

The facility is being funded with money raised from the sale of public lands to pay for parks, trails and natural areas.

If your planning a vacation or just passing thru Las Vegas bring your guns and enjoy them at the new public range.

FYI Nevada is a open carry state.

Best Regards

Tom

Reply to
azotic

The range was used for 50 cal. BMG competition until the neighbors squawked. Don't know if that was ever resolved.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

They need lots of practice in Nevada, the most dangerous state in the country, with a crime rate 24% higher than the national average. Keep shooting, guys. Your life may depend on it.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Lots of gun ranges in Vegas, too, including The Gun Store on E. Tropicana where you can rent full auto machine guns. I see lots of Orientals in there renting.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It's high, Ed, but when did it become # 1?

Reply to
jmartin957

This isnt the same Antigun Harry Reid that works for Obama is it????

And Hurray for Las Vegas!!

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

azotic wrote: ...

Assuming that you aren't already in Nevada, be aware of the laws in the state(s) that you are passing through! "Oh, I didn't know" probably won't excuse a violation.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Show us the citation that backs up that hysterical remark.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Shure is, Harry is running for another term.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Wonder what the morning line is in Vegas for Harry, or if they can take those bets.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Let the Record show that "azotic" on or about Tue, 25 Aug 2009 07:13:13 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Road Trip!

I may have to go to Missouri later this fall, I might be able to squeeze in a detour.

Cool. But is Missouri? I'll have to look it up.

pyotr filipivich

I think it was around 2004 or 2005.

Those are the CQ Press rankings, based on where a state stands on a variety of violant crime stats:

"The Safest and Most Dangerous State rankings are determined using rates for six crime categories -- murder, rape, aggravated assault, burglary, robbery, and motor vehicle theft -- by calculating a state's position relative to the national average for each category. Crime categories are weighted equally, so that state comparisons are based purely on how states performed against the national average. The weighted, aggregate scores are totaled, and a state is assigned a final score. The farther below the national average a state's crime rate is, the safer it ranks; the farther above the national average, the more dangerous."

The M-Q/CQ Press rankings are used in a range of fields. I've checked them against the FBI's UCR stats in the past, and they're accurate representations of what they say they are.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I don't doubt that there is a lot of crime in this state (I've been in Vegas since 1998) and that it is primarily due to Vegas in the South. I would speculate that there are also some fairly skewed distributions aka some quite safe areas and some very, very unsafe areas. So by and large if you stick to the safe areas, you don't notice. :-)

I lived in Cali and Mass before NV and I like that the gun laws are "liberal" :-) here. I kick myself for not picking up a $2000 full auto Vector Uzi about 10 years ago.

Personally I would correlate a high crime rate more to lack of educational attainment/opportunities rather than "liberal" :-) gun laws. Look and Finland and Switzerland - lots of guns (admittedly highly regulated) in the general population yet very low crime. Both are wealthy, well-educated countries. (I would also assume highly "mono-racial") Look at Colombia and Peru - very tough gun laws yet very high crime rates. These countries are not rich, only the upper class is well-educated (superbly actually) and also have to contend with the white/black skin thing.

Not surprisingly, NV also ranks pretty low, like 1-3 from the bottom, in educational rankings as well. Parents will protest if band or sports gets funding cuts but math/science don't get a peep or a bake sale.

A closing comment on the gun thing - 10 years ago in Vegas it was not surprising to see televised news segments of a local newscaster (female even!) down at the range squeezing off some rounds. Back then if there was a "child had an accidental discharge with parental gun" incident the newscaster would say something like "parents be smart and keep those guns locked up!" and I would cheer *LOUDLY* and send nice emails to the station. Nowadays it is more "conservative" :-) and not as pro-gun.

JJ, a gun loving, Obama loving=Palin hating, highly educated liberalish but actually libertarian leaning (too bad so many libertarian candidates are loons) guy.

Reply to
jj

Right. Like other states with thin populations punctuated by a few large towns and cities, Nevada's by-county crime rate varies enormously.

I don't recommend downloading this 13 MB, 315-page mess, but if you're interested (page 24, etc.):

But that doesn't help with Las Vegas, which has an enormously high violent crime rate. And there are counties in the South with low crime rates and low education levels combined with severe poverty.

There's no single correlation. That's what makes it so frustrating to analyze.

Even with the cultural issues, be wary of oversimplifying it. I lived in Switzerland for a year and I'd attribute it more to social rigidity -- which, of course, does relate to the other things you mention.

It's a state with very strange demographics. I brought it up mostly as a jibe, and I didn't expect we'd get into a sociological analysis. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes, the hard problems usually do not have easy answers. I'll also pull a minor CYA and belabor my wording "correlate a high crime rate MORE TO..." rather than "due to" above.

I can't help but hold simplistic hope in the belief that with more rigourous "just the facts Ma'am" education (vs warm fuzzy esteem building "even though you are oh SO SO wrong" new aged pap) a lot of our societal ills would evaporate.

I'll also take a poke at the "global warming is a scam" crowd - it's been my experience that the most vocal people I have personally witnessed spouting forth do not seem to have a strong grounding in science and math. This would seem to stack the odds against their being right. And yes, I realize there have been times when the scientific establishment was wrong - alas poor Gallileo and the dude who rather recently proved that ulcers were more bacterial than emotional.

Ah what a parable that is for the current "death panel" highly charged emotional unUnited State of Affairs...

Reply to
jj

Yet your beloved Obama wants to take your guns and Palin wants you to keep and bear your guns.

Make up your mind. You cant have both.

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Actually, Obama doesn't seem to be interested in doing anything about it one way or the other and Palin shouldn't be trusted with pointed scissors. d8-)

Sure you can. The difference is that JJ is somebody who uses his head for something other than a hatrack. Many others just follow what their ideologues tell them to think, which, in the case of the right wing in America today, is the most inconsistent, incoherent, and brain-dead collection of unrelated postures that we've seen in the history of American politics.

It's like you guys won a shopping cart of ideas at a philosophy sale and you just grabbed all the ones that nobody else wanted.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You are welcome to your opinion. Sorry but the evidence to date indicates to me that the gun grabbers have learned the error of their ways. Much of that is due to the "death panel/birther" types but a fair amount of that is also due to we "so called liberal" types who let our politicians know more gun laws won't work. Of course we will have to keep the pressure up because those folks "forget." :-)

Lots of gun folks in S. Nevada owe many thanks to the hard work (over many years) by those who worked in the system and got our new public gun range built.

I'll definitely take Obama and should he pull "a big surprise" then I'll bury my thundersticks "someplace." Obama's positives definitely outweigh his negatives. Palin's positives are worth less than Obama's negatives.

Besides in a decade or so "Federal" body armor will improve to the point that you need either a .50 cal BMG or a "phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range" when the "black helicopters" drop by. :-)

Reply to
jj

Thanks I'll check this out.

Just before Gulf War Version 1.0 (1990) I visited a relative working for a bit in Basel and I went to visit for a few weeks. Very interesting place - what with the German, French and Italian areas and the very strong social safety net. (back then anyway)

I would assume most Swiss are fluent in at least 2 languages if not 3 or 4. Lol, fine chocolate is brain food. Hey life is good when your government has "cuckoo clock" panels and every high school graduate must hand build a clock with at least 10% (by weight) parts made of gold.

Reply to
jj

Yes, but they're a little like French Canadians. They speak another language, but they won't admit it unless their life is at stake. d8-)

I wasn't aware of that. I was studying politics, but some of the cultural stuff -- particularly in German Switzerland (I was in the French part) escaped me.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress