Weed Whacker Resurrected

Hi all,

I inherited two broken GrassHog weedwhackers. In the spirit of 'Reduce, Reuse, Recycle', I repaired one.

I drilled a 12 mm x 25 mm bolt through the middle and epoxied it to the motor shaft. Then I salvaged the ventilation fan from the broken trimmer head by cutting it to size with my lathe. I mounted a GrassHog bladed head on to the arbor using a matching mounting nut that I drilled and tapped to M12 1.75.

In test, it quickly sliced up some thick vegetation. This is an impossible feat with the original head.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I misread "vegetation" as "vegetarian", and thus mistook your brag for yet another political rant. It does put a unique spin on the post...

I'm thick this morning, but not a vegetarian, so please don't demonstrate your new weed whacker on me!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

It did require a liberal amount of machining to conserve the tool. I managed to do it without checking a book out of the Libertary.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Good job. I run a trimmer maybe 100 hours a year. Didn't like those yellow swinging cutters. They very quickly twist 90 degrees and you got a fan not a trimmer. There is an orange blade that is more rigid and works better.

My favorite head holds .100 line and has two line exits from the head. You have to stop and push a detent in to let another two inches of line out.

Or, install a saw blade. Dangerous but werks grate! I still got all my toes but only because I wear red wing steel toed boots doing this. I also have safety glasses on. There will be bruises on your body where the rocks hit.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Bravo Sir...well done indeed!

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I'll keep my eyes open at the hardware store this afternoon. Thanks for the tip.

I contemplated that. I noticed they don't sell replacement blades for my gas powered brush cutter. I shall continue contemplation.

Yup. I noticed how quickly this thing turned into a pebble launcher. It makes one circumspect.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Saw blade? You mean like a table saw blade?

Reply to
RBnDFW

That would work. Mine is just for shearing Xmas trees. Four large square teeth on a 6" diameter

Reply to
Karl Townsend

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

Yup. Those rocks take off with great enthusiasm. I tested the rebuilt trimmer in my back yard, which resembles Mr. Slate's Quarry.

Luckily my friend's yard has been de-rocked over a couple decades, so that isn't going to be an issue.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

My ex wife took out her double glazed patio door with a cheapy plug in whacker using the thin string. It was ironic as her landlord prompted her to trim the weeds that her lawn mower failed to get. She was stuck paying $350 to a glass company, and this prompted her to search for a house to buy.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Roger Shoaf wrote: (...)

I had no idea one could do that with a string trimmer.

Wow!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:42:09 -0700, the infamous "Roger Shoaf" scrawled the following:

I'm not surprised. Most people don't know a single bit of physics and can't tell you the trajectory of a thrown object from the string direction, or how to avoid things like that. That was an expensive lesson.

-- A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On Wall Street and across the country, decades-old firms have failed, fortunes have vanished, and some former captains of finance face jail or fines. In Washington, meanwhile, most regulators and Members of Congress remain on the job, often with enhanced power. -WSJ "Bernanke's Second Chance" 26aug09

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Watched the next door neighbour mow the grass this morning between rain showers, he had the "back door" of the rear bagger open, to avoid clogging I guess. Reminded me of my old Lawn Boy with no front on the shroud - bout 1 1/2 inch exposure of the blade - found a golf ball in the grass one day and scored a hole-in-one at St. Andrews Royal and Ancient! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller