Our family visit to Railworld

Quote :- "In the heart of Peterborough, Railworld is a fun and informative visitor attraction for the whole family."

WRONG ! Our visit to Railworld has taught me an invaluable lesson for the future ....... Don’t bother to visit any attraction which has basically a text only website.

Yes we know :-

“ Railworld is an independent organisation and has no direct finance from the local authority or government. Railworld’s income comes from admission tickets, grants, room hire, land hire, and kind donations. “ and is run by volunteers but ......

Most of the exhibits were rusty, the grounds were unorganised and full of weeds, the toilets had no hot water ( quote ‘yet’ ), the model railway was STILL under construction, the buildings looked like old building site cabins and the constant reminder ( OK it’s an new angle ) about ‘global warming’ was a bit OTT.

It’s not all bad, their wildlife haven is still in it’s early days so will take time to develop and mature. The viewing platform, which overlooks the national electrified and standard lines, is a good idea. The Education Centre known as Globe Hall looks promising from the outside but time will tell. Children can enter free with adults @ £3 each.

The trustees have “refocused their efforts, from past to present and so to sustainable transport”, they have, in our opinion, done this too early in Railworld’s short life.

Railworld was developed from the Nene Valley Railway and in principle is an “international museum” to complement the National Railway Museum @York ?

The most interesting part of Railworld is Stephenson the Railworld Cat .... and we don’t like cats !

Sorry !

Reply to
Dragon Heart