Going to KSC...Which tour?

Hey all, I'm going to Kennedy Space Center and will be taking one of the tours...which one is better... The "Then & Now" or "Nasa Up Close" tour? I know the general gist of them, but which will be more interesting. I'm leaning toward Up Close because I figure Then and now will always be around, while what we see in Up Close will be different in the future. Any input from rocketheads who've done both? My last trip to the Cape was 20 years ago and I remember taking a tour that went out the crawlerway and to the Apollo one pad (I think...it's been a while and the cobwebs in my brain are definitely thicker these days!). Any info from fellow rocketheads is appreciated. Thanks, Art T Sojars 593

Reply to
Art T

For most people the "Up Close" tour will be more interesting. The "Then & Now" tour takes you to some of the old Canveral launch sites but there's not much to see any more. Also, the "Then & Now" tour isn't run very often - only when they get enough reservations, I guess.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Smith

It was an easy decision for me. I am a space history nut so the tour that took you out to the old pads was the one for me. When I was there a couple of summers ago the tour:

  • Let you stand underneath what is left of Pad 34-A (where the Apollo 1 fire took place.)
  • took you the Canaveral air station museum and its rocket park (absolutely took cool!)
  • Took you inside the blockhouse used for the Sheppard and Grissom flights. You could walk out onto the same concrete pad where they stood. Yes sir, that was all right.
  • Past the hanger and office window of Van Braun.
  • Past the early Saturn 1 pads
  • Past the silos where the entombed Challenger and Apollo 1 wreckage lies.
  • Past the Canaveral lighthouse. If I recall correctly you end up at the same place the other tour does, the Saturn V building. There the tours merge and you find a common bus back. Yeah I know, this is a geeky tour but man I loved it. Not many people take it which makes it even better. We were able to talk more to the guides and just had a great time.

Ted Mahler

Reply to
Ted Mahler

Wow! I took this tour in 1999 and the only place we were let off the bus was at the musum. Otherwise it sounded pretty similar.

I didn't know about the "Up Close" tour, and the person at the ticket booth wouldn't admit to the now-and-then tour existing until I asked for it by name (just describing it wasn't good enough).

In '99, the tours would sell out long before bus departure. Buy your tickets early in the morning!

Go read sci.space.shuttle and look for the 'Unofficial Space Shuttle Launch Guide'.

I remember the driver / tour guide saying that as well, but according to:

it was stored at Langley. There were plans to store it allong with Challenger, but those plans were apparently delayed:

(fwiw, that web site isn't responding at the moment, so I had to use the google cache to read these).

Personally, I think the right answer to "which tour" is BOTH! :-)

Glen Overby

Reply to
Glen Overby

We did the "Then & Now" tour this past spring and thoroughly enjoyed it. The visit to Pad 34A was worth the whole trip, but everything else (as Ted just described it) was amazing, too. It's worth taking in and remembering the very primitive equipment they used to do absolutely amazing things. It all seemed to be interesting even to those who hadn't been born when it all happened. Our tour guide's father had worked on the progeam then, and she had all sorts of good info.

We found out when we arrived to pick up our tickets that the entry ticket to the Space Center was actually good for 2 days. We basically wasted a day driving around to some other things, then went to KSC for one day, but we were leaving the next day. If we had known we could have easily filled two days there.

Whatever time they tell you to get there for your tour, go early in the day, since you have to go through security if you take then "Then & Now" tour. Have good ID, and be prepared for some level of confusion.

If we went back again I'd take the "Then & Now" a second time - I didn't get a chance to wander as much as I wanted at some of the stops!

Enjoy!

Reply to
Anonymous

Do both. Is you is or is you ain't a rockethead?

If I HAD to pick only one it would be Then & Now.

Reply to
Tweak

Art, the reason I recommended the "Up Close" tour is that I assumed you aren't visiting alone. But I just re-read your message and you don't mention whether anyone else will be with you. Non-space-freaks, especially kids, may be bored by the "Then & Now" tour. But enthusiasts will, of course, enjoy it. You'll like either tour, I suspect. I haven't been on the "Then & Now" tour for a few years. I tried to take it about a year ago, but it wasn't offered the day I was there.

I ran out of time, but I was also going to suggest that you'll want to take advantage of the "second day free" offer on the "Maximum Access" passes. Without the guided tour, KSC is an all-day experience. Whether or not you take one of the guided tours, get to the visitor's center early. I'd suggest, in addition to one of the tours, you sign up for the "Lunch with an Astronaut" lunch (another extra-cost thing, but worth it - see

Not only is the food (marginally) better than available elsewhere in the Visitor's Center, but you are treated to a presentation by an astronaut and, usually, an autographed photo. You could take the guided tour one day and do the lunch the other.

My wife and I visit KSC several times a year. Usually we go to "have lunch" with a specific astronaut. Most of the times the astronauts are one of a few regulars such as Sam Gemar. All of the regulars are excellent speakers and I'd recommend seeing any of them. But every once in a while, they'll have other astronauts including ones from Apollo and earlier. That's when we usually visit. We also attend the Astronaut Hall of Fame induction ceremony each year which is attended by dozens of astronauts.

My favorite attraction at KSC is the Saturn V Center. They've created a terrific presentation and there's nothing like walking under a real Saturn V. I also can't get enough out of the 3D Imax films - especially the space station one. We also enjoy spotting widlife while riding the bus during the tour. One time, our bus had to stop because a very large alligator _ran_ across the road - an amazing site.

Oh ... as an aside ... sometimes people are confused the first time they visit KSC thinking they have to sign up for one of the guided tours to take a bus to see the shuttle pads and other things. That's not true. A bus tour is included with your regular ticket that takes you near the launch pads, to the Saturn V center, and to the International Space Station facility. The "Up Close" tour gets you closer to the Vehicle Assembly Building, launch pads, and other interesting sites with a tour guide.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Smith

Roger, is the 'second day free' on the maximum access passes still available? I recall taking advantage of it maybe 4 years ago, but the last time I was at KSC (2 years back) I don't recall seeing mention of it anywhere.

Thanks

G.

Reply to
Graham

It was the last time I took notice. But I usually get an annual pass (which, for Florida residents, is the same price as "Maximum Access" pass right now). I think the second day free offer is still valid, but they don't mention on their web site (except in the "Fact Sheet" at

If you're planning to visit you may wish to give them a call to check:

321-449-4444.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Smith