Old UPS

OK, I've got this old 1000 VA UPS that is unreliable as far as powering a server goes, but it still hold a charge. On the back are several standard US configured female outlets.

Can I use this as a power supply for launching my rockets? The output is

120V AC, but is that a problem for momentary charges?

Yes, I've got to find the annoying alarm that sounds if I turn it on while it is not plugged in to a wall outlet and disable the alarm, but other than that, it seems to hold a charge for quite a while.Looks promising, but I'd hate to zap myself for the sake of science ;-{0}

Reply to
emanon

You'll have to pull the batteries to use for the launcher. I just disassembled two APC 2200RM units and scored 4(out of 16) 12v 7.2ah batteries. Just for grins I tested a AT Firstfire igniter with one of my batteries and got INSTANT ignition.

See my previous thread '12v 7l.2ah' for details.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS$75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

"emanon" wrote in news:UoWdnXxc4vQXXfrYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You could just salvage the sealed lead-acid batteries (SLA)from it for an ordinary launcher supply,and use a charger with desulfating capability to maintain them. A major Problem with old UPS units is that the SLAs get sulfated and lose capacity.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Just to reinforce what others have said, do NOT attempt to use 115-120V for launching. Pull the batteries and use them. I've done exactly that in the past. None of the commercial launch equipment is intended for that voltage; and 115 V is enough to "surprise" you.

OTOH, batteries of that type (perhaps a bit smaller than those for a

1000 VA unit) are available for less than $30, more than adequate for the task, and you don't have to wonder of they're suddenly going to disappoint you...
Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Ted

Would you want to get rid of the APC 2200RM without the batteries?

Interested if price and location (shipping) is right.

I am located 100 miles north of St. Louis in Quincy, IL

Hugh

the notorious t-e-d wrote:

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

How about using an old UPS delivery truck to launch rockets...

Reply to
tai fu

If UPS will deliver, I will launch.

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

What can Brown do for you?.... :)

Reply to
stealthboogie

Well you could mail a rocket by UPS express which will go into those brown UPS planes and it will get launched to about 33,000 feet to the other side of the world... I dont know of any motor (available to general hobbyist that is) that can take it that far...

Reply to
tai fu