Old UPS

OK, I've got this old 1000 VA UPS that is unreliable as far as powering a server goes, but it still hold a charge. On the back are several standard US
configured female outlets.
Can I use this as a power supply for launching my rockets? The output is 120V AC, but is that a problem for momentary charges?
Yes, I've got to find the annoying alarm that sounds if I turn it on while it is not plugged in to a wall outlet and disable the alarm, but other than that, it seems to hold a charge for quite a while.Looks promising, but I'd hate to zap myself for the sake of science ;-
emanon wrote:

You'll have to pull the batteries to use for the launcher. I just disassembled two APC 2200RM units and scored 4(out of 16) 12v 7.2ah batteries. Just for grins I tested a AT Firstfire igniter with one of my batteries and got INSTANT ignition.
See my previous thread '12v 7l.2ah' for details.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS$75
Ted
Would you want to get rid of the APC 2200RM without the batteries?
Interested if price and location (shipping) is right.
I am located 100 miles north of St. Louis in Quincy, IL
Hugh
the notorious t-e-d wrote:

You could just salvage the sealed lead-acid batteries (SLA)from it for an ordinary launcher supply,and use a charger with desulfating capability to maintain them. A major Problem with old UPS units is that the SLAs get sulfated and lose capacity.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Just to reinforce what others have said, do NOT attempt to use 115-120V for launching. Pull the batteries and use them. I've done exactly that in the past. None of the commercial launch equipment is intended for that voltage; and 115 V is enough to "surprise" you.
OTOH, batteries of that type (perhaps a bit smaller than those for a 1000 VA unit) are available for less than $30, more than adequate for the task, and you don't have to wonder of they're suddenly going to disappoint you...
How about using an old UPS delivery truck to launch rockets...
--
TAI FU
"emanon" < snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com> wrote in message
tai fu wrote:

If UPS will deliver, I will launch.
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
tai fu wrote:

What can Brown do for you?.... :)
Well you could mail a rocket by UPS express which will go into those brown UPS planes and it will get launched to about 33,000 feet to the other side of the world... I dont know of any motor (available to general hobbyist that is) that can take it that far...
--
TAI FU