What's to do in Seattle, WA

As stated in the subject, I will be in Seattle (city bound) with my family,
for about a day and a half. Are there any clubs or stores or other RR things
I can see?
Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum
Frank A. Rosenbaum spake thus:
Not RR related, but be sure to visit the Fremont District while you're there (locals will be able to direct you). The motto of the place is "Delibertas Quirkas".
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
Frank A. Rosenbaum spake thus:
On short notice, the only website I could quickly find was this one:
It shows the statue of Lenin (real one) and the troll under the bridge, two of the main features. Other "quirky" stuff abounds. (It's a neighborhood.)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
Haven't visited, but looks interesting..
On these pages are photos of recent restoration projects at the Northwest Railway Museum in Snoqualmie, Wa.
And other links here..
Enjoy..
Reply to
ghost
If you have the time and transport, take a look at the museum of glass in Tacoma - I get a little bored with Chihuly (local boy), but they have lots of good show of other works, and the "hot shop" is quite a show.
Tacoma also has some quirky neighborhoods, and just plain pleasant ones. And the Camp 6 Logging Museum - with train rides.
Steve Caple
Excellent idea. It is open, complete with a restaurant that revolves once an hour. Rather pricey, for either just the ride up or eating, but worth it. I have kind of a special feeling for the Space Needle as it opened the day after I was born....April 21, 1962.
But, nobody has mentioned the Monorail~!
I assume it is back up and running. The only (I think) full sized original Alweg monorail in the world. The Disney (and Las Vegas) versions are scaled down, and of course the rolling stock is on about the 5th generation. It's a short ride, but worth it. And, the station is very close to the Space Needle, so you can easily do both in one day.
Regards,
DAve
Reply to
DaveW
Especially when you can see all the citizens rushing to their doors to stand on the porch and look for Montag.
Reply to
Steve Caple
Thanks, Steve. The Kalamazoo Institute of Art had an exhibition of Chihuly's work early this year. As we are members of the institute, we got special tickets for it.
Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum
Keep your eye open for a show of William Morris (the one who's still alive, not the Arts and Crafts movement oldie) work. Makes Chihuly look like a one trick pony.
Reply to
Steve Caple
What is the name of the Fish Market where everybody goes? I gather it is a wild place with the employees throwing fish around all over the place, etc. It is a really good time (some co-workers visited there) and their unique style of doing things has led to the development of the FISH philosophy for employee attitude & morale. I'm thinking that it might be Pike Street or something like that.
dlm
Reply to
Dan Merkel
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:09:41 -0400, Frank A. Rosenbaum posted in article ...
A freebie: Ballard Locks (AKA Hiram M. Chittenden Locks AKA government locks) in Ballard, just upstream from Bridge 4, the BNSF mainline crossing of Salmon Bay, and about a half mile west of but eastbound from GN's Interbay Yard . While in Ballard, enjoy some lutefisk.
Reply to
OvC
It's the Pike Place Market. Not sure what the "FISH" philosophy is- it hasn't spread to my office two blocks away yet :)
The monorail promises to be back up and running any day now. It was closed several months ago when two trains managed to sideswipe each other at a place without enough clearance between the two tracks. Seems like after 44 years, everybody would be aware of little bugs like that.
There's a waterfront streetcar system using old cars imported from Australia, but unfortunately it's closed for maintenance. They painted up a couple of buses to run the route for now, but it's just not the same :)
Another place that might be worth a visit is the Museum of History and Industry. And the "Underground Seattle" tour that starts in Pioneer Square.
Most rail activity is in the south end of town. There's a pair of nice passenger stations- King Street (still in use) and Union Station (restored and adapted to other uses). And all the BNSF trains blast their horns as they pass under the opened roof of Safeco Field during Mariners games.
A new light rail line is being built between downtown and the airport. Seeing how they build that mostly elevated line might be of interest.
Someone suggested the railway museum at Snoqualmie. That would require a rental car and an hour's drive (or so) east, but if you like looking at lots of interesting though rusting locos, cars and at least one rotary snowplow, it's worth the trip.
Dale
Reply to
Dale

Site Timeline