Vacation - place to visit

They've got a barn of a warehouse, at least 10,000 sq ft. full of machines. I bought my Sheldon 15" lathe from them, they have many nice fixer-uppers. But, don't take their word for the condition of the machines. They said mine was in "excellent" condition. But, it had about 13 thousandths of an inch wear in the bed! That's not what I'd call excellent.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Hi guys. I will be driving from FL to CT next week to visit family and I have to go right by Harrison, NJ. There is a used machinery company there called Machinery Values, Inc. Worth a stop by? Anyone know anything about them? Thanks, Bill.

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Tom Wait

Well, I wouldn't buy from them again. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

From what I've seen they *list* a lot of things on eBay - most of the items I've tracked have failed to make opening bid.

Reply to
Mike Henry

A year or so ago I bought a Hardinge 2J collet chuck from them. Upon setting it up on the lathe and chucking a collet and piece of stock into that you quickly noticed the nose piece of the collet had a massive crack in it. There response was "that is what you get buying used". I figured that was good enough reason to steer clear of these people.

tim

Reply to
TSJABS

Some of their reserve prices are ludicrous.

Reply to
ATP

where are you going in CT? Not a big state but there are some dealers here. Anything you are looking for? Let me know I my be able to help you out.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

Maybe go slap Al Babin for us :^)

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

Wayne, I'll be in the Bridgeport/Shelton area. Bill.

Reply to
Bill

Machinery Values owned Machine Shop Guide, which I worked for. We were in the same offices.

They have (or had; our magazine parted ways with them last November) a lot of big iron in stock, but very little home-shop stuff -- unless you own one hell of a big home.

They've been hanging on by their fingernails through the downturn. You might want to stop there if you want to see a lot of big, idle iron. Otherwise, it's a place I avoid. Harrison is the absolute pits.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Thanks for all who replied. From your input, I have decided to shop somewhere else. I might stop by for a looksee only, since I have to go right by there. Just to stand next to a Hardinge does strange things to me. I sure wouldn't want to do business with somebody with this kind of reputation. Bill.

Reply to
Bill