Regarding museums

Hello all, I have become a big fan of the Internal Fire museum and someday I hope to be able to make a trip to the UK during which I would make it a major point to drop by the museum. I have asked a few people here in California if they were aware of a similar showcase here in CA. or at least on the west coast of the US. I have yet to encounter anyone here who is even aware of Internal Fire so my question has not been answered as to weather a comparable museum exists here. I have read a few posts on the NG talking about folks coming to the US for some of the bigger shows and swap meets (Auto jumbles) and was hoping that some of you may be aware of such a museum here. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Scott McAfee

Hi Scott, The best way to get USA information is to join the ATIS list. This group is the best for UK engines but the ATIS has about 500 members from all over the world. (Mainly USA). You will find all the advice you need there. See

I cannot get this to open at the moment)

Reply to
Dave Croft

Scott,

You are correct in that both the Internal Fire and the Anson museums are well worth the visit in the UK.

In the US, the Coolspring Power Museum in Coolspring, PA is without a doubt the best collection available.

Another collection that is worth the visit is at the Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association in Kinzer, PA.
No engineman can really lay claim to being one until he's made the pilgrimage to Mecca (Coolspring in this case).

See ya, Arnie

Arnie Fero Pittsburgh, PA (about 90 m> Hello all, I have become a big fan of the Internal Fire museum and someday I

Reply to
hit_n_miss

Regards Scott

Reply to
Scott McAfee

When I had a business life, I was able to chase all around the US looking for museums. Like Arnie, I have no doubt that Coolsping is the best in the US. For UK visitors, try to combine a visit there with one of their big events. Last time I went was in the fall, & the colours around the site just added to the pleasure -- & provided interesting pix of rusty relics in the hedgerows (unfortunately not eligble for the photo competition!) Coolspring do have a good museum brochure.

Have done Coolspring & Portland a few times, & Internal Fire rather more. IF is great, & 10 minutes away! Coolspring is great, & a few thousand miles away. As BA have just cancelled 940,000 of my air miles, not going back in a hurry!

Arnie -- hope all is well with u. Are u still big on Lorenz?

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Reply to
Scott McAfee

I presume you are looking for local museums, not the other side of the country?

There are some great museums in California.

The one at Vista is very good - acres of stuff, not just agricultural but some stationary steam engines too. But it pays to go on their live day. Seeing their live day is this coming weekend, you better get your skates on! :)

The tractor and truck museum up north of SF at Woodland is one of the best. ok, not engines, but but some great engines powering those old Bests, Holts etc.

Peter Short

Thanks Peter. Vista is about 600 miles away. Too far for a weekend but possible when I am visiting relatives in southern CA. I am not far at all from Woodland and yet I have never been to the ag museum there. I will have to make it a point to stop by. Pottsville Oregon has a Holt powered drilling rig which they had running on and off during the meet earlier this year. Big 4 cyl. with exposed valve train. It had an interesting sound and cadence. There are two pictures in the Pottsville album on my webshots page.

Scott McAfee

Hi Scott, As mentioned, there is the show in Vista coming up this weekend and next. In April there is Tulare, we'll worth the drive. It sounds like you might live up near the Oregon border. If that's the case, consider Brooks in August.

Rob

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Rob Skinner La Habra, California

Rob Skinner

The Heidrick Museum is well worth a visit, and the Woodland swap meet is also useful to pop into if you are in the area. Plus the State Rail Museum in Sacremento....

Our previous visit pictures are at:

There is a link to the Heidrick Museum web page on there as well.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Peter, I took a look at you're Woodland pictures. I went to that swap meet about 5 years ago when it was still being held at the Bottomore ranch in Arnold, CA. but if you're pics are any indication it has grown significantly since it moved to Woodland. I will make it a point to get there this year. Regards Scott

Reply to
Scott McAfee

Rob, thanks for the heads up. I made it to Pottsville this year, see pics on my webshots page, but work prevented me from getting up to Brooks. I will make plans in advance to attend Brooks next year and will probably stop by on my trip to Washington this Christmas if it is open. Regards Scott

Reply to
Scott McAfee

Scott,

I'm thinking you might be confusing Portland, Oregon with Portland, Indiana. The latter is the home of the largest engine rally in the world each year in August. Other than the rally and a couple of swap meets, there is NOTHING there but a sleepy little town where corn and soybeans are the major topics of discussion. If you go at Christmas time expect to see snow-covered farm land and little else.

Colin (and others), yes, I'm still into Lorenz and Benz engines and am maintaining a register for them. If you know of any, please send the owners my way so that their engines can be added.

Best to contact me at fero snipped-for-privacy@city-net.com

See ya, Arnie

Arnie Fero Pittsburgh, PA USA

Scott McAfee wrote: