You guys were right!! (was "gear motor powering VS bandsaw")

Well, I wired up the gearmotor and controller tonight to try it before I went any further. You guys were right. Not enough torque, I tried cutting 1/4" HR flat stock and it came to a stop, would probably cut

1/8", to aggrivated to try. Anyone want to make me an offer on a Leeson motor with KB controller??? Next, is there an affordable gear reducer out there? I will need somewhere around 45:1 +or- the wheels are 16" dia. I have a 1.5HP motor sitting around waiting for a home, could use that.Its 1720 rpm. I guess I could always use a jackshaft setup to get it down there, with 4-step cone pulleys to give me speeds for steel and alum. etc.... Any thoughts??? Would e-bay have reducers? I never bought anything off there before,is it more trouble than its worth? Any suggestions or help is appreciatted again, Thank you, Craig
Reply to
Craig

Did you turn up the torque limit and install the proper HP resistor in the KB controller? Is it a KBIC?

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ned, I adj. a couple of the "trimpots" with out a lot of diff. being made. I did not add any resistor, the controll came to me ready to use, it is a model KBRG-212D Regenarative DC motor control. I followed the instructions, works nice, just no where near enough torque. The motor is a Leeson Perm Magnet model # CM34D25NZ10C 40:1 ratio I know nothing about electronics, especially this type of thing, maybe Im trying to use the wrong type of stuff all together. Might just look for a gear reducer, I have a 1.5hp motor sitting around Craig

Reply to
Craig

Craig wrote: (...)

The large print says the controller can be adjusted for 1.7,

2.5, 3.3, 5.0, 7.5 amps.

For what current is the motor rated?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Something doesn't seem right, Craig. A 1/4HP motor with that reduction should give you about 30# pull at the rim of your 16" wheels, and considerably more for a short time. Got an ammeter you can put either on the motor leads (DC) or the AC input to the drive? If not, can you come up with a *safe* way to measure rim pull? Perhaps a spring scale attached to a rope wrapped around the wheel? If you have the drive set up properly the motor won't mind being stalled for a short time.

That's a pretty complicated drive to run a bandsaw. I'd double check the jumpers and the settings on the pots, especially both current limits and the IR compensation. Are you running on 120 or 240 volts? Is the motor

90 or 180 volts?

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

,

probably

resistor

reduction

Ned, sorry for the lag, I`ve been sick (still sick), the input is

120 volts, the motor is 90 v DC, amps is 2.3, I`ve read through the instruction manual and checked stuff, but I will check it all again. It just does not seem to have the torque required to cut steel. Again, I know nothing about this stuff, so its all new to me. I got the motor and controller for a reasonable price thats why I tried it. I have a Surplus Center motor and controller also that didnt have enough torque either. It was suggested that I run that through a 80:1 or 100:1 reducer ( Im not worried about being able to cut wood at high speed, just metal, mostly HR and CR and Alum.).I am now trying to scrounge a right angle gear box, have to go Sat. to check out the surplus store. Thank you for your help, and sorry about the delay on my part,

Craig

Reply to
Craig

(Snip)

The large print says the controller can be adjusted for 1.7,

2.5, 3.3, 5.0, 7.5 amps.

There is a tiny jumper block along one edge opposite the transistory-looking things on the heatsink (SCRs). It is labeled 'J3'.

The jumper should be placed at the '2.5' setting.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston