House of Hobbies in Tampa (Clearwater) FL

There have been several posts on rec.models.scale over time about how great the House of Hobbies in Tampa FL (Clearwater, actually) is, filled from floor to ceiling with lots of old kits and supplies. I live on the east coast of Florida and I wanted to visit, so I called them trying to find their hours. That was when I found out they closed their store at

1320 South Fort Harrison around March-April 2004 (which was the one everyone said was so great), and moved to a new location in Palm Harbor.

Has anyone been to their new store? Is it as good as their old location was? I'd like to know if it's worth a 6-hour round-trip.

Their new address is:

37700 US 19 N, Palm Harbor, FL 34684 727-943-5800

Thanks,

Jeff Clark Cocoa, FL

Reply to
Jeff Clark

They have been open about a month and as I understand it, there is still considerable stock "in the back" that is not out. The new store is actually a combination of the old store and another store they had that was north of the present location.

I can't tell you much about the old store. I am in a wheelchair and could never even get in the front door of the old store! From what I hear from other club members the place was pretty fabulous.

Not sure what your interests are but the new store seems to have more R/C stuff than before. (apparently that is where the money is).

The airplane stock (my interest) was about six 20' long shelves. Lots of old stuff like ESCI and the old 1/48th Airfix kits.

You could always plan your trip over here for a day we have a meeting or the weekend of our upcoming Regional. See:

Wildcat

I visited the old store in Clearwater while on a vacation about a year ago. And, they do have a remarkable selection.............. problem is, finding it. The place reminded me of a hobby store version of the govt. storage warehouse that is in the last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark!!

They have it, but who knows where................ I spent about 2 hours in the store and saw stuff sitting on the shelves that I'd not seen for 25 years!! But the place was a disaster area organization wise.

Maybe now that they've moved they'll get it together and will actually be able to show you a specific model, instead of the "oh yah, we got that................ somewhere" comments that I heard during my visit.

Good day, Francis Marion

Reply to
francis marion

Yeah, they used the Crapatorium for filming...8^)

Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Ooh! I love stores like that. I could spend all day there and if I was looking for something specific I'd probably have to. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

"Wildcat" wrote in news:gUQIc.18016$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's still worth the effort to go, whether I'm there for the contest or not.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Clark