http://www.liquitec.net/auctions/crane-cams-inc/category.php?category=Lathes
Best,
Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling
Garlicdude wrote:

GD:
    That's too bad. My first aftermarket cam was a Crane, over 35 years ago. They've been around like "forever".     I guess people's disposable income for hot-rod parts is drying up.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Bob, Yes Crane and Iskenderian were the cam people from the beginning of hot rodding. I wonder if it's more a case of the younger generations not being into hot rodding now days. I don't see or know of many kids that are interested in cars, let alone know how to work on them as compared to past generations. Most of the kids I see now don't know a box wrench from a pipe wrench.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Rice burners.

Two years ago, I was working on a valvetrain for a modified CAT 3208 motor... Crane Cams would not talk to me, unless it was already in the catalog. Asking questions about Lifter or Rocker "design" got put off....
Dave Crower, was VERY helpfull. Harland Sharp, was VERY helpfull.
Some others. will not be mentioned here..
Not surprised to see Crane go away, they seemed to be "Coasting along" on former glory days... I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got, from that project.
In terms of Hot Rods, there is a local club which seems pretty active. They have a couple cars in the middle of a top chop, very nice looking, some hot Rod Mopars under construction, and rat rods on the street. Some of them have approached me to rent out 9,000 square feet of space for a Hot rod shop... Any downsides to this, besides fear itself?

But the kids are great bout nifty decals and rims.
Snicker
Gunner
Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:50:52 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in alt.machines.cnc the following:

    "Back in the day" you could do the work yourself. Adjust the carb, change the plugs, set the points, in general "tune the engine." Can't do that anymore, what with the smog controls, the Fuel injection and the rest. Cars are a commodity, to get you from point A to point B and look good while doing so.     So, fewer motorheads. And cars cost "more" - not just in terms of dollars, but in the amount of time it takes to get enough dollars. I have heard, in a different context, that back in the 50s, a rancher could sell a couple cows and buy a new pickup. Nowadays, he's got to sell quite a few cows to buy that new truck.
tschus pyotr - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Garlicdude wrote:

It looks like Crane never moved away from old manual machines, too bad they have not kept up. Not sure when I saw so many out of date machines in one place. Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction
Michael wrote:

http://www.liquitec.net/auctions/crane-cams-inc/category.php?category=CNC+Machine+Tools
--
Black Dragon

We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge.
Black Dragon wrote:

http://www.liquitec.net/auctions/crane-cams-inc/category.php?category=CNC+Machine+Tools
It looks like Crane never moved away from old cnc machines either, except for that one tiny Haas TM, the rest are very old ,too bad they have not kept up. Not sure when I saw so many out of date cnc machines in one place. Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction

I paged through the CNC equipment seems they have one or two machines 10+ years old, most are 20+ even saw 30 years old.
Perhaps a practical example of Vinny's post "Hypothetical question on topic" 15 Apr 2009.
Tom

Yeah, or your disposal recently of a mill with a 6M.
JC
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:45:42 -0700, "John R. Carroll"

A machine I bought years ago for my personal use. Hitachi-Seiki, Full 3 Axis, 7.5 HP, 18 tool ATC, CAT-40. Still a nice machine in full working order when I sold it. Good machine in it's day or today for a home/garage shop but not competitive in today's modern production environment.
I had a few people I know want to buy it from me over the past couple of years. When I was finally ready to sell after some thought I didn't go that route. I felt selling to someone I know would be like selling a used car to a family member or friend, not a good idea if something goes wrong it could lead to hard feelings and I didn't want to chance a relationship for a few dollars.
Funny thing is the Haas 4th Axis Indexer with Haas 5C Controller I used on that machine sold for more than the machine itself.
Tom
Actually, you guys are guessin' and you're all pretty much full of it... Crane is another victim of M&A disease - they were bought by Mikronite a couple years back, with the usual results. The founder (Harvey Crane) stepped away from the business c. 1981. AS for the kids - you ought to talk to 'em before you sell 'em all for junk! Many are quite bright, and eager to learn, if they can find teachers/mentors/old gararge dogs like me to learn the real shit from- like degreeing cams, building bottom ends, scaling and alignment... I know a couple crochety old farts who are wizards with EFI, too. Hey, go to the website www.hillclimb.org and look at some of the projects in the forum.

Harvey Crane is a much sought after and respected cam guru who is well liked by people I think highly of.
Crane Cams have been in trouble for many years.
Crower is a very poorly run company who hasn't been profitable enough to attract a buyer. Much like Crane they live on their rep. That only goes so far without new innovation.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA http://www.jonbanquer.blogspot.com /

http://harveycrane.com /
Keep an eye on who ends up with A) the camshaft core business - Crane supplied a lot of the other cam grinders, too B) the ignition business - better stuff than MSD, at better prices