any advice for fastening lanyard to copper stock?

Hi all.

I want to make some simple key fobs/chains out of small (e.g.

3/8"-1/2") copper bar stock, but am not sure of the best way to fasten the lanyard to the copper... Threading a hole into it seems like a pretty straightforward (and cheap) way to do it, but i don't know how long it would hold up (possibly add some adhesive to the threads?).

Welding/soldering seems kind of risky to the finish.

Simple glue doesn't seem strong enough to hold up.

This is just a little craft job, i don't really have any good metalworking gear. Any suggestions? I'm assuming the lanyard material will matter as well, any ideas there?

Thanks!!!

Bob

Reply to
bobrich

--Why not use traditional beaded chain and drop it thru a hole? Big chamfer on each side to keep chafing at bay and you're done.

Reply to
steamer

Drill a hole near the end, and attach the chain with a split ring like you see on keychains all over the world.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The standard way to attach a small flat metal object to a key ring is to drill a hole in the metal object and then put it on your key ring where it will lie flat with your keys ..

GWE

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin