Bostich 1/2 crown stapler model 650S4 repair

I bought this used stapler off ebay. It would fire OK but would not feed the staples. Maybe 2 in 10 hits would staple properly, the rest would be "dry firing". I disassembled the unit and checked for wear. All looked OK except the anvil, the pin that pushes the staple appeared worn. I resurfaced it flat again, completely cleaned the mechanism and reassembled. It appears to be much better in my test fires, hitting 19 out of 20, dry firing only once. I am using fresh 1 1/2" staples. Any else I should do to improve reliability?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
rleonard

The 650S4 uses 1/2" crown staples; the 650S5 uses 7/16" crown staples. They are both called medium-crown staples and the 7/16" are a bit more commonly available. See if the staples are just a tad narrow.

BTW, Amaz>I bought this used stapler off ebay. It would fire OK but would not

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

Tom, I am using the proper staples for the gun. 1/2" wide staples in a 1/2" gun. The feed rail retracts to clear the magazine area should a jam occur. That is not the problem I am having. The problem is lack of feeding.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

Now you know why he sold it. These damn things should be considerred "maintenance free". When they break, replace it. Mine only gives trouble when I've hired a large crew and we're late getting a 1000 bushel semi-load order out. I remember looking up once while clearing a jam, eight people were watching me repair it, nothing else to do. So I keep a spare ready to go.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Good advise Karl, At the moment it is not a "mission critical" piece of equipment so I will not invest in a spare....yet.

A collegue just mentioned that the feed spring that tensions the stack of staples in the magazine can be tightened. I'll investigate that.

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
rleonard