Bostich 1/2 crown stapler model 650S4 repair

I bought this used stapler off ebay. It would fire OK but would not
feed the staples. Maybe 2 in 10 hits would staple properly, the rest
would be "dry firing". I disassembled the unit and checked for wear.
All looked OK except the anvil, the pin that pushes the staple appeared
worn. I resurfaced it flat again, completely cleaned the mechanism and
reassembled. It appears to be much better in my test fires, hitting 19
out of 20, dry firing only once. I am using fresh 1 1/2" staples. Any
else I should do to improve reliability?
Thanks,
Bob
Reply to
rleonard
The 650S4 uses 1/2" crown staples; the 650S5 uses 7/16" crown staples. They are both called medium-crown staples and the 7/16" are a bit more commonly available. See if the staples are just a tad narrow.
BTW, Amazon states that it comes with a "Jam-Free magazine" so that can't be the problem :)
Reply to
Tom Kendrick
Tom, I am using the proper staples for the gun. 1/2" wide staples in a 1/2" gun. The feed rail retracts to clear the magazine area should a jam occur. That is not the problem I am having. The problem is lack of feeding.
Bob
Reply to
rleonard
Now you know why he sold it. These damn things should be considerred "maintenance free". When they break, replace it. Mine only gives trouble when I've hired a large crew and we're late getting a 1000 bushel semi-load order out. I remember looking up once while clearing a jam, eight people were watching me repair it, nothing else to do. So I keep a spare ready to go.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Good advise Karl, At the moment it is not a "mission critical" piece of equipment so I will not invest in a spare....yet.
A collegue just mentioned that the feed spring that tensions the stack of staples in the magazine can be tightened. I'll investigate that.
Thanks,
Bob
Reply to
rleonard
A couple thoughts: 1) Replace the drive pin (anvil), even though you surfaced it flat, it may be worn enough that it is not hitting the new staple cleanly. 2) Make sure that it is retracting fully, that means checking out the valve mechanism at the top of the piston.
snipped-for-privacy@c> I bought this used stapler off ebay. It would fire OK but would not
Reply to
RoyJ
Thank you Roy. I'll investigate.