BP leadscrews

Question for those in the know....

Are the leadscrews in all BPs the same(other than length)? I need a new lead screw for my M head BP(30s era machine), and have found one that came out of a newer J head machine(70s era machine).

If the diameter and pitch are the same, I can figure out the rest, but wasn't sure if they would fit the same nuts/etc.

Thanks

JW

Reply to
jw

Not all, for certain. Most use Acme threads, but my BOSS-3 CNC Bridgeport uses ballscrews instead, and those won't interchange. (Aside from that, the X-axis leadscrew does not rotate -- it is firmly fixed to the right-hand end of the table, and the ball-*nut* rotates in a pair of opposed tapered roller bearings. (Obviously, no handwheels for this machine.)

I'm pretty sure that the pitch is the same for all manual Bridgeports (to check, does the dial on yours read 0-0.200" for a full rotation?) If so, then it is 5 TPI. Whether the older M-head machines had the same diameter -- I don't know.

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols