Bronze etchings?

While cleaning my parents garage, i found some artwork that i remember seeing in their home in the 1950's.There are two etchings? of horses
on raised or embossed material which looks like thin aluminum or bronze material and attached to wood with many small rivets. I was just curious if anyone was familiar with this technique? It appears that it is all done by hand as opposed to a template of some type.

Are the figures raised or are they impressed upon a raised surface?
Your description could fit either type.
About that time there were people who'd carve a scene into wood and then hammer sheet metal into the form using dulled chisels to produce the desired level of definitions. Others would place a relatively thin sheet on a bed of sand and "emboss" pictures from various sources by means of a stylus.
The work can also be done with large dies and a stamping press.
There are many ways to accomplish either form and, for the most part, each way can be automated if the demand is sufficient.

Good question. When i go back to their house, i'll check. I would say from memory it looks like repouss which another poster mentioned. Thanks.
On Dec 20, 9:27pm, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Sounds like repouss to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repouss%C3%A9_and_chasing
Karl

That's the term I was looking for...
Thanx!

I wasn't paying attention when I was typing it though. It's spelled: repousse Karl

You forgot the accent over the final "e" but I knew what you meant. <GRIN>

My e key didn't have one. That must be on French keyboards.
    [ ... ]

    You mean like this:
    On my keyboard, you press and release in sequence:
        [COMPOSE], "e", "'"
and you get it -- but not all systems will be able to display it, which is why I normally don't use them.
    Not sure what sequence is needed on a Windows box. The above is for a Sun system with their keyboard.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Wintel: Hold down ALT and type in 130 on the numeric keypad =
Not quite as intuitive as cleaving an apostrophe to a lower case e.
--Winston

I'm on a laptop right now will have to try it later. Thanks Karl
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
(...)

Here's a user - friendly chart: http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/ALTchrc.html

--Winston

Bookmarked. Could have used that a couple weeks ago. I remembered the character map but didn't remember where it was and thought it only worked in Office. Thanks Karl
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 18:25:38 -0800 (PST),

There use to be a program for this that came with Windows. Don't know if it still does...
Look under Programs->Accessories for "Character Map".
If it is there (Character Map) you can use that for finding odd characters and the "Alt" number keystrokes for creating them. Alternatively you can use the same program to select them (copy to clip-board) and then paste into your application.
Do bear in mind though that a lot of us won't see them correctly, depending on what you choose and the program we are using to view news groups with.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

Some characters are different for different fonts, as well.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Leon Fisk wrote:

Or Start->run and enter "charmap"

This can also be done with sheet explosives. Some amazing results are possible with this technique, like welding dissimilar metals. (Seen it on Discovery) Steve