Buck XMFR questions

Greetings all you AC Electrical Types, My shop is supplied with single phase juice (notice my proper use of technical terms) at 245 volts average. The voltage does vary a little,
usually about 2 volts either way, but sometimes as high as 250 volts. I've never seen it drop below 240, but then I don't monitor it 24/7. I have just checked it many times over the years. I'm in a rural area near the beginning of a line that serves many homes so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, I use a rotary phase converter to supply 3 phase power to my CNC machines. Setting the xmfr taps in the machines allows me to supply the machines with power that is within specs. Except for the Miyano lathe. It has xmfr taps for the Fanuc control but not for the VFD spindle drive. The Fuji spindle drive has a switch that allows for either 200 VAC or 220/230 VAC operation. So I am supplying the spindle drive with voltage that is too high. And the problem with that is when the spindle decelerates the spindle load meter goes above 120%, the spindle drive shuts down, and sets an "overvoltage" alarm. The drive uses regenerative braking and the power supply must be capable of supplying 22kVa, according to this link: http://www.fujielectric.com/company/tech_archives/pdf/31-03/FER-31-03-108-1985.pdf Anyway, after such a long winded description I'm wondering if I could use 3 xmfrs buck configured to supply power to just the spindle drive. I don't know what effect, if any, the regenerative braking would have on any xmfrs connected between the rotary phase converter and the spindle drive. If I can use buck xmfrs I need to know what xmfrs I can use and how to wire them. Thanks for reading this far. Eric

http://www.fujielectric.com/company/tech_archives/pdf/31-03/FER-31-03-108 -1985.pdf

A perfect example of where the use of a buck boost transformer is indicated.
On 10/26/2012 6:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

http://www.fujielectric.com/company/tech_archives/pdf/31-03/FER-31-03-108-1985.pdf

If you ever get to Central Oregon (Redmond), I will give you three buck/boost transformers that will work for you. I will have to check the voltage, but I think it is 20 volt buck/boost. They were part of an old wave solder machine. I can give you the exact spec if interested. I would love to get rid of them.
Paul
On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 19:28:54 -0700, Paul Drahn

Greetings Paul, I would drive down to Redmond to get those. I have a friend who lives in Portland so maybe I could visit with him. Weekends would be best for me but I could drive down on a weekday. Before I plan the trip it would be best to have the specs so that I know they will work. How big and heavy are these things? Thanks, Eric
On 10/27/2012 10:36 AM, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

I will be at the plant Monday evening and will get all the specs then.
Paul
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 12:55:01 -0700, Paul Drahn

Thanks Paul. I'm hoping your xmfrs will solve my problem. Eric
On 10/27/2012 4:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Now at the plant to make two people working the second shift. Hope this is the last week!
The transformers are: Square D Cat. # 1.5S46F, 1.5KVA, 115C temp rise.
HV: 240 or 120 LV 32 or 16.
Each weighs 35.5 lbs. Three transformers.
I will send a private email with pictures.
Paul
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:
And the

http://www.fujielectric.com/company/tech_archives/pdf/31-03/FER-31-03-108-1985.pdf

I have some doubts this is your problem at all. Most VFDs will handle a wide range of input voltages. I'd check you braking resistors to be sure they are still working. There is also the possibility the transistor that turns on the braking resistor has gone bad. With 22 KVa this must be a pretty big motor and VFD, so the braking resistor must also be pretty big.
Jon

http://www.fujielectric.com/company/tech_archives/pdf/31-03/FER-31-03-108-1985.pdf

Actually it's a very common problem at least with the older fanuc drives.
But, I suggest he should also check the manual over really good; IF there is a jumper setting that specifies an external braking resistor and there is not an external resistor installed then it will also cause overvoltage to occur on the dc buss.
On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:19:47 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

The drive is not a Fanuc drive, it is a Fuji product. But I will check to see if there is a way to add an external braking resistor. Eric

I echo the above.
Can you disable the regeneration and use a braking resistor? It's designed to pump power back into the grid vs waste it; and I suspect your rotary converter does not like it.
Besides, wasting is the good old American way!
Or can you feed the VFD with the single-phase line?
David Lesher wrote:

Oh, it is a regenerating VFD! That is different, if true. Yes, then the input voltage could interfere with the regeneration system. Usually regeneration is only used on really big drives, 100 Hp and up, as it definitely costs a lot more to do. But, maybe they chose this to avoid having to have a large braking resistor with cooling fans.

Not likely a 22 KVa drive would accept single phase, and especially if a regenerative drive it definitely would not.
Also, the drive may be very unhappy with a rotary phase converter. Not exactly sure what an RPC would do when the drive starts sending 3-phase energy back to it, but it is pretty likely it does NOT behave like a true 3-phase supply. My guess is the "wild leg" would surge.
Jon

I think the wild leg is surging. But the drive is operating at about 20 volts above its rating. And it really is a regenerating drive according to the manual. The drive is inside a cabinet with little ventilation so I can't imagine there would be enough cooling to get rid of the heat from braking resistors. All the machines I have seen with braking resistors have them outside of the cabinet that holds all of the electronics. Before I bought this machine it was connected to a Phase Perfect solid state phase converter the drive didn't have overvoltage faults then. Only when the Phase Perfect had some failing filter caps and when the power coming into the building would spike. Eric

The issue is the regen system must dump the scavaged power *somewhere*. With 3ph grid, that's no issue. But with your rotary inverter, it sounds like it is.
The only answer that springs to mind is adding a 2nd load to the rotary converter; a lamp bank or resistor bank. It would have to absorb the shed power. It's not going to be small.
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 18:10:11 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher

How would I add a resistor bank that wouldn't be using power all the time but still be able to absorb surges from the spindle drive? I use the phase converter to run several machines at once in my shop. It doesn't seem to matter if only the one lathe is running or if the spindles on other machines are running, the spindle drive still alarms out when decelerating. Not stopping though, just decelerating. Eric
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com writes:

You can't...

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 00:30:09 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher

Maybe I should have said using significant power. Eric
David Lesher wrote:

The typical VFD (not the regenerating type) has a transistor that switches the braking resistor on when the DC bus voltage rises from energy coming back from the motor during deceleration. It is only switched on for a fraction of a second to keep the DC bus voltage below some preset threshold. So, the braking resistor will not be dissipating power until it is needed.
Regenerating type VFDs would not have a braking resistor.
Jon

I agree with Jon. I had a 5hp VFD running the spindle of my Gorton Master Mill (3hp motor) and not long ago..it started doing the same thing yours is doing. Worked fine in cold weather..but started giving me fits in warm. I went so far as putting a full blown buckboost "transformer" on it..and raised the voltages both up and down from my normal 248 volts. Same thing.
Finally the VFD simply went into OV alarm. Some component inside has failed/changed value, and it needs to go to the repair house.
Yours may be headed down the same path.
Gunner
--
"President Obama is not going to lose. He will be re-elected. It is those of
you who have these grand fantasies of that pip-squeak Romney actually having

    Hmm ... this sounds like it is missing a braking resistor. Perhaps it has one and it has fried/opened?
    But it is possible that starting from the higher line voltage, it might be more likely to trip the limits. (And, BTW, have you checked how well balanced your rotary converter is? It is common for one leg to be significantly higher than the others, and this can be helped (somewhat) with tuning capacitors -- though since you are driving multiple machines with it, it makes the balance just right for *one* machine, and perhaps worse for others.

http://www.fujielectric.com/company/tech_archives/pdf/31-03/FER-31-03-108-1985.pdf > Anyway, after such a long winded description I'm wondering if I could

    It might be easier to use a single buck transformer on the single phase 240 VAC into the VFD. But your 22 KVA says that it will need to handle something like 91 A (so 100 A for a round number), which is a massive transformer. Hmm ... voltage needed to drop your peak 250 V to 240 V for a reasonable maximum would be 10 V (maybe 12 V would be easier to find), which would be about a 1.2 KVA transformer -- not quite as bad as it could be. Your VFD might need to be a bit bigger to provide sufficient spindle output power from single phase (and check that it will *run* from single phase). Anyway, you would need the power to be Wye, not Delta format -- at least on the output side of a big transformer to allow the buck-boost to work cleanly.
BTW    It is likely that the rest of the machine (separate from the     VFD and spindle motor) really only needs single phase, which it     derives from one phase of the three phase input, so you likely     don't need the the rotary converter at all for that machine.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail