Thermal Arc 300s questions

I have the opportunity to buy a Thermal Arc 300S power supply unit (no leads or torch) for $450.

I'd like to learn TIG, and this looks like it might be a good opportunity, but I don't have 3 phase power at home. Unit is fairly new and very clean looking, and inverter based.

I've done a lot of searching, but I haven't come across any manuals for this model.

Anybody have a manual in PDF? Comments on the capabilities, upsides and downsides of this unit?

I'm going to see it tomorrow (sorry for the late notice, but just found out about it).

Thanks.

-Ralph

Reply to
rpseguin

I forgot to mention that I'm trying to compare this against buying an older Miller Dialarc HF Big, old transformer based machine 500+ lbs with a TIG head for $700 Comments on the Miller Dialarc HF? Any other recommendations for something around $700-$800?

I would definitely prefer to get an inverter based machine for its size, weight and versatility. I would like to learn TIG and if I can get a nice, used unit for a great deal, I'd prefer to do that. Eventually, I will work with aluminum and stainless (tubing, plate, ...) as well as mild steels and maybe copper on occasion.

Thanks.

-Ralph

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
rpseguin

A 3 phase inverter needs 3-phase. If you don't have easy access to 3-phase or feel like building a HUGE rotary phase converter, stay away from this machine.

If you want to learn basic TIG and don't have much money, buy the $200 small DC inverter TIG from harbor freight.

Or just get a TIG package for use on any DC Stick welding power source.

Before you go hauling around some BIG machines, try something small.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I forgot to put in the explicit question of whether or not the Thermal Arc 300s can actually be driven by single phase. I know that many inverter based machines can do either 1ph or 3ph.

I built a 5HP rotary phase converter a while ago, and I have a couple of 10HP 3 phase motors lying about..., but I'd prefer to go the inverter based machine route (less weight/size/...)

Has anybody actually used/tested the el-cheapo unit and have actual results to share?

Certainly the Harbor Freight $200 pricetag is tempting. I just want to avoid a $200 boat anchor.

Thanks.

-Ralph

Reply to
rpseguin

Several people here have bought them and found them to basically work.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler