Thermal Arc 351

Is anyone familiar with this model? There is one listed on an upcoming auction that I plan to attend.

They have it listed as a MIG power source w/ digital feeders. Trying to find background information, ThermalArc lists it as a multi-process. They have no other documentation. Is this a TIG source as well?

TIA

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

It's listed as the "Arc-Master Evolution", in the 'multi-purpose' catagory, and marked as "obsolete". Unless the price is outstanding, I'd be cautious.

or if that link is too long to cut/paste:

Mr Wizzard

Thanks. I had found that.

I did end up buying the machine. A welding repair shop was dumping all of their "old" machines. Most were still in plastic wrap. The machine I got had been fully gone through. I dont' think I got an "outstanding" deal, but dont' think I got screwed either.

I called the tech support line at ThermalArc and they were very helpful. They have sent me a full manual for the power source and for the wire feeders.

I have powered it up and it seems to work great. I haven't tried the TIG portion yet, but I have tried the MIG and stick. I have some TIG work to do this weekend, so I will try that out then. The dual feeders is an interesting option. I haven't decided how I will run them. Maybe one with "big" wire and one with lighter stuff. I looked into the idea of having one on aluminum, but that doesn't seem to be a good idea w/o a push-pull system.

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

multi-process.

MES

Have you run one? It is a few generations ahead of what I have, and added MIG capabilites to my shop. Dad has a decent Miller MIG, but now I don't have to borrow one. :)

It's too bad it is DC only, but I am playing with the idea of adding an inverter output stage to do square wave AC. It's well within the limits of my capabilities, it's just a matter of finding the time to do it.

I haven't had a need to do AC welding really, so it's just a "nice" thing to have at this point. I don't know if it will ever happen, but it's fun to dream about anyways.

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

I got bit witht he same type of thing

Really good deal on a Miller XMT 304 CC DC only then i get a lot of AC tig stuff to do.....grrrrrrr

Reply to
Brent Philion