Tig arc start- high frequency or lift-arc

I been using a Dimetrics Centaur 75 power supply and sequence controller for circumferential automatic precision tig welding for almost 15 years. It uses a high frequency arc starter which has worked fine on most of our welds which are done with a .020" arc gap. I'm ordering another welding system and the salesman is trying to sell me one which will use a Miller Maxstar 152 that uses the Lift-arc start. Since the system will include a Arc Voltage controller with torch servo connected to a Amet XM controller I assume this will work fine.

any one had experience with this type of system. Most of our welding our done at an average of 30 amps, 39"/minute. I'm concerned the Maxstar

152 will not perform as well as the Centaur especially on some of the finer welds which average 5 amps.
Reply to
tomcas

Nice looking package.

A Maxstar 152 is pretty old. Why such an old power supply? The Maxstar 152 was fully controllable and I know they used them for purpose built welding devices, but a Maxstar 200DX will work much better. The Maxstar 152 didn't have a HF start built in. You had to add a Snap-Start unit to use HF start.

The Maxstar 200DX goes down to 1 amp, with full pulser/sloper/sequencer capability, and has HF start built in. For how much that whole unit will cost, upgrading the power supply would be a cheap upgrade.

Lift arc is only beneficial if you are working near sensitive electronics like medical equipment or radio transmission gear.

HF start is much better for general use.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

The system is to replace one that was sent to me that had a CobraTig supply/controller but never was not able to perform as promised.

That is what is normally specified but I suspect they are cutting corners because it's technically an upgrade from the original system.

Yes, I read that at the Miller website.

Agreed.

I'm going to have to rethink this upgrade. It could be that Liburdi Dimetrics has a better package.

Reply to
tomcas