Looking For Certain Iron Product....

A metal supply Company in my area made me iron rings with 1/4 in round iron that were perfectly round.......When I tried to duplicate it myself with my bender-they were less than perfect. The metal place said that they used some kind of coil of iron that he just cut and welded, and now they no longer carry it--Does anybody know what this coil of iron is or where I can get it? Thanks

Reply to
Bonettes

Is it possible that the supply company bent round bar in the shape of a spring:

..and then sliced and welded the ends?

That would be round, after some careful grinding.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yes, I have heard of that way of making rings also.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

I don't know about the coil but you can buy a cheap ring roller from Harbor Freight that will make a ring of any diameter you need. It will roll 1" wide flat stock up to 3/16" thick and has grooves in the rollers for 1/4" round rod. Here's a link:

Since their link doesn't show an image of what it can do here's a good image of a better quality roller rolling flat stock:

I don't believe that one has grooves for round rod though.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Yeah I bought that at Harbor Freight already.....thre rings don't come out perfectly round. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Bonettes

perfectly round. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Sometimes it helps to roll the piece a littlt beyond 360 like Keith said and then pull it out and roll it in the opposite direction. This way both tail ends of the roll are exactly the same, but they will need a little trimming.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn