Bulk assorted fasteners

I can recall seeing a training film in wich they showed the machine that was designed for sifting, separating, and sorting rivets from the floor sweepings of a WW2 era aircraft plant. It was determined that the lost time from dropped rivets was too much to be bothered with chasing them, but the amount of them was also too much to consider throwing out. So they built a machine. Cool!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

"Accidently" leave 'em out in the rain.

Once they are roont, you can take 'em in for scrap with a clear conscience.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Gee, doesn't anyone consider hiring high-school students for temporary summer help anymore ? Maybe talk to the local shop teacher to steer toward you a student with potential as a possible future full-time employee. This sounds like a series of tasks that could stimulate creativity in the right person.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

This was how I avoided boredom, and gained a lot of hardware, while working as a project supervisor (inspector) on renovation projects. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

These pails--wow, what a lot of stuff!!--may curse you for the rest of yer life! I know, because a hardware store guy sold me about 100 lbs of "sweepings" from his screw department, for $10, and **10 years later** I'm STILL sorting!!

The trick: do it roughly, in stages, when yer sick, brain dead, or watchin TV, or just thinking. Can be relaxing. I roughly separated wood from sheetmetal, from machine, from carriage, from set screws, from socket head, etc.

Later, I separated out all the 1/4-20, then the larger threads.

For less than 1/4-20, short from long.

Then it would become apparent if there was enough of any one size to separate distinctly. Etc.

Ditto nuts, washers, etc.

Rather than bins, or cabinet drawers, I found plastic trays w/ lids the most ergonometric for separation, storage, retrieval--small trays for #2 stuff, larger trays for larger stuff. Some drawers for large stuff, often cat food cans, cut down milk cartons within drawers.

Finally, there is a semblance of "usable order/organization", without getting fanatic. Took a while to figger out the "rhythm", tho, so that it wouldn't really interfere with the rest of my shop life.

But five 5-gal pails--goodgawd....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

BINGO!!!