CAD Package

Hi.
Anyone out there know of a good 2D CAD package? I would like to do some
simple layout work for my home shop. Freeware would be great, but I could
go as high as $30 or so for something that works well. I have downloaded a
couple of packages (CADVANCE, QCAD) but there is almost no documentation
with them and I can't figure out how to use them. I would like to draw
simple geometry and then edit the length, radius, or what ever as required.
Thanks in advance.
Kelly
Reply to
Kelly Jones
I don't know if the deal is still on, but Alibre was giving away a spectacularly good 3D package called design express. I'm using the pro version (it has sheetmetal and the free package doesn't) and I love it. Once you've gotten comfortable with 3D cad, you won't want to look back.
Reply to
Jim Stewart
What I use
Ken.
Reply to
Ken Davey
The learning curve with any CAD package, even with docs, is steep. You have to invest to use them productively. An older version of TS CadDraw, say V4.2 might pop up as freeware now. I have used this for years for low level 2-1/2D cad work. Cad features of CadDraw are better in many respects than many other Cad programs I have tried out, and professional programs costing mega bucks. JR Dweller in the cellar
elly J> Hi.
Reply to
JR North
Here's a free trial:
The learning curve with any CAD package, even with docs, is steep. You
Reply to
JR North
You might want to check

I am well pleased with their program.
Lewis.
*********************
Reply to
limeylew
I use Autosketch (V7, they are up to 9 or 10 now), it is relatively inexpensive, does most 2D things and seems to be very compatible with Autocad format as it comes from Autodesk as well.
For 3D I use Rhino which is expensive but very cool and easy to use.
Reply to
Felice Luftschein and Nicholas
Doug White
Reply to
Doug White
I like Autosketch. I think it was only $30 when we first bought it, but that was pre 2.0. I finally bit the bullet and bought V7, which was a very nice improvement.
Steve
Felice Luftsche>I use Autosketch (V7, they are up to 9 or 10 now), it is relatively
Reply to
Steve Smith
Not sure what you plan on drawing but there is a program called Instant Architect that seems to have features in common with Cad. $14 on ebay. I have it. It works fine but there is no documents. Decent tutorial on the dvd.
Reply to
daniel peterman
I've been using TurboCad (freeware) with good results.
Bob May