Carbon fiber fabric for heat shield?

I'm looking for something that will not transfer heat very well so something can be brazed on it without significant heat loss. Would carbon fiber stand up to a MAPP torch?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

No, it would most likely catch fire.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hey Louis,

I would think the "fibers" will be OK, but the binder probably will not unless it is special. I do know they make car intake manifolds from carbon-fibre composition, so there must be some binder that works.

Here in my shop, I have 5 or 6 firebricks for flatwork. For larger stuff, like small boilers, setting as much of the part as possible in a container of kitty-litter works good.

At work, we always used a piece of asbestos, either hard as in Johns-Manville siding, or in blanket form that welders use, but that was to keep any adjacent wood or wiring etc. from scorching or catching fire.

Try a good plumbing or welding supply, and ask what the pro's use.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I don't think Louis meant a laid-up resin cloth composit. I assumed he meant the cloth itself--I used to use asbestos cloth as a heat shield, but, of course, that's no longer considered acceptable. If you're going to buy cloth, I would think glass cloth would be preferable. A few strands might melt in a direct flame, but the stuff wouldn't catch fire. Carbon fibre is carbon, is it not? Even diamond (also carbon) burns up in a fire.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Yes, I mean just a woven carbon fiber blanket,

Torch Shield - carbon fiber fabric

Pyro Torch Shield

Pyro torch shield, patented carbon fiber product, lightweight, soft & flexible cloth 10" X 18" area. Will withstand temperatures up tp 3000°F and is both fire and heat resistant. Protect paint, wood, plastic and fiberglass from soldering or weld splatter. Great for repair jobs.

PYRO PROTECTIVE CARBON FIBER FLAME BLOCKERS

Louis Ohland

Try Kevlar. I use woven kevlar gloves for handling 500 degree metal, very short handling times though.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

fire brick The cream foamy type.

Wood stove stores can help on a supplier or get some 'old' ones.

Mart> I'm looking for something that will not transfer heat very well so

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Diamond is very resistant to burning. Not to say that it is not possible, but I have reset diamonds in spelter ( molten zinc ) with no noticeable affect on the diamond.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Heat isn't much - it might crack it due to mechanical issues. Rich oxygen or hot rich oxygen will convert it to CO2 or CO. Subliminally vaporize.

Mart> >> I don't think Louis meant a laid-up resin cloth composit. I assumed he

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Do you know one of the most amazing properties of diamond? It transfers heat better than any other known material. About X times better than copper! Hard to beleive? Diamond is the hardest material. Diamond is the best electrical insualtor. (reference needed) Diamond has the best heat transfer properties.

In fact, the Cray Supercomputers used to have diamond paste spread under the chips to transfer heat to the heat exchangers. Cost was NO object!

The heat transfer is a artifact of being a hard material. Heat is vibrational energy. Hard material transfers the (?) sonons better than a softer material.

Reply to
Half-Nutz

Just go get the product designed for soldering copper pipe in plumbing section at a hardware store. It's usualy fiberfrax with a AL backing. I made an electric brass melting furnace using the commercial stuff as insulation instead of refractory. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Alpha Metals Non-Asbestos Flame Protector through Ace Hardware

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Best insulator? Not sure this is true, compared to say teflon.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:35:45 -0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking, JoanD'arcRoast

Reply to
David Harmon