Clamping and holding work

Which is why, I suppose, we have paid for those $900 toilet seats. Make it to the specs, even if the specs are lacking in common sense. No feedback between the designer and the guy making the parts.

Not trying to pick on Harold or anyone else. Just a comment that when too many people or departments get in the middle, things tend to get complicated.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

Isn't it 4,000?

But I was never sure if they were SAE or metric...

Reply to
Doug Smith

Good gravy! Don't spill them on yourself!

Reply to
Artemia Salina

That's neat! I'll be using that one! Might want a left-hand endmill so the mill pushes the work down rather than trying to lift it.

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:07:01 -0300, "jtaylor" wrote

Reply to
Don Foreman

Any endmill will pull if you are cutting with the end face using the correct direction of rotation. Did you mean using a left-hand endmill against it's normal rotational direction? You could also do this with a standard mill using reverse (if your machine has it). Either way it doesn't cut so well and dulls the tool very quickly.

Greg

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:11:45 GMT, Doug Smith calmly ranted:

They were German Whitworth if my recollector recollects correctly.

---------------------------------------------------------- --== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==--

- Schnazzy Tees online

Larry Jaques

Greg, I have some end mills with right hand cut, left hand helix flutes. They look real strange but do prevent the work being pulled into the cutter. It's best to use them with the end clear so the chips have somewhere to go. If milling a step and taking much of a cut the chips are forced back into the cut and a poor finish can result. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Reply to
Don Foreman

Nope. I have end mills, RH cut LH helix.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Harold; So glad you got away from "Where I come From" . Out here in the "REC" world we can get away with a lot. If I break a tooth off the harrow it can be fabricated from most any thing, close to the size of the others +/-

1/2" or so. Hack it, whack it, weld it or bolt it back on and we're off to the races again. I think that your like the guy in our shop at work, and I mean this in a good way, that I sent a print to that called for a gauge of 1"x2"x .8675. He called me and demanded to know that the tolerance was on the 1" and 2" dimensions. I didn't really care so gave him an 1/4" and he had a hard time dealing with that.

On a lighter note did you get your roof on yet? I drove by your place two weeks ago but didn't have time to stop. Made a one day trip to Puyallup for the wedding of my nephew, and it poured the whole trip back home and I was hoping that you were under a roof already. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Chuckle! Yeah, someone gives me a tolerance of 1/4" and I wonder why they're talking to me. Mind you, not all the work I've done is high precision. Far from it. It's just that in order for me to keep a keen edge, I've always worked to the dimension, disregarding tolerance. Shoot for dead on, and if you happen to miss it a few tenths, no big deal. Working that way has yielded the ability to run about as quickly as others do, and turn out excellent quality work. Doesn't mean much now, but when I ran my shop and dealt in tooling for the aero-space industry, it was the source of my success. I had faithful customers that saw to it that my shop was always backlogged.

Sorry you didn't have time to stop, but you certainly were spread thin. . Susan and I would have enjoyed a visit by you and J. (Name omitted for your benefit, not mine, I remember it perfectly).

The roof (from hell) is coming together. We had a lot of work that had to be done before we could start on it, like getting the balance of the exterior walls done. That involved electrical and plumbing work as well, since some of it is grouted in the walls. Took us about 6 weeks of steady work. Our trusses arrived on Friday, and Saturday, about 3:00 in the afternoon, rain began and didn't really let up for about 4 days. That was the same Saturday you were up our way. Some rain, eh?

At this point we have the trusses spread and I'm just beginning the extensions of the gable ends. The way I work, I'll likely be talking about getting the roof on again next spring.

Seriously, with a little luck, if fall rain doesn't begin in earnest, we may just get it done.

Thanks for asking, Larry. Always a pleasure to hear from you. Hello to J from us.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

No kidding? I learn something new every day. It makes wading through the cesspit of Usenet worthwhile.

-G

Reply to
Greg

I don't know where I got the idea that Cerrobend was so expensive. I just bought 5 lb. on eBay for $49 including shipping. They are 1 1/2+ lb ingots for $14 each. I suspect that he will sell direct: Steven Kaplan snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt