Does this look like a trash pump to you?

This is a Gorman Rupp "Type O" pump.

Gorman Rupp website is quite useless, as a matter of fact they do not even have a catalog online, just pages with B/S.

This is an electric motor (115 volts) driven pump. It sucks liquid in front and pumps it up, or the liquid can be diverted to the hose reel on the top right of the picture.

The pump was stuck when I brought it home, but I unstuck it by forcing the 115v motor to turn, using a screwdriver on the motor fan fins.

It has a selector valve that seems to be frozen, but it offers options such as "backflush", that seem to be incompatible with a general concept of a trash pump.

My question is what is this pump. Just a general trash pump or something else?

Ignoramus15061

It's not a trash pump, trash pumps pretty universally have quick release clamping mechanisms to allow you to remove disassemble the pump to clear a clog. It would appear to be a regular non solids handling centrifugal pump, possibly with a bit higher pressure ratings. The plumbing attached to the pump doesn't come with the pump, it's from the application it was last used in which would seem to be filtering of some sort.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yep, certainly not a trash pump. It would be very useful for hobby farmers as an irrigation pump if it will put out 100 PSI. if that pressure guage goes that high it would be a good assumption that the pump will too.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yep, certainly not a trash pump. It would be very useful for hobby farmers as an irrigation pump if it will put out 100 PSI. if that pressure guage goes that high it would be a good assumption that the pump will too.

Karl

Every trash pump I've seen has a pitman arm driving a large diaphragm. I don't believe that's a trash pump.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

OK, I have been trying to recall what I talked about when I was buying that pump. I was very excited, but I think that it is for fuel applications.

Ignoramus29044

The diaphragm pumps are not trash pumps, they are slurry pumps. They don't handle large debris like a trash pump, but they will handle very muddy water and similar. Trash pumps are centrifugal pumps with extra impeller clearance to handle large solids like pebbles and sticks. Normally the solids handling capacity of a trash pump is 1/2 the port diameter, i.e. 1.5" solids for a 3" trash pump.

Reply to
Pete C.

Fuel application pumps tend to be gear or roller pumps. A centrifugal pump in a fuel application would be quite unusual.

Reply to
Pete C.

The diaphragm pumps are not trash pumps, they are slurry pumps. They don't handle large debris like a trash pump, but they will handle very muddy water and similar. Trash pumps are centrifugal pumps with extra impeller clearance to handle large solids like pebbles and sticks. Normally the solids handling capacity of a trash pump is 1/2 the port diameter, i.e. 1.5" solids for a 3" trash pump.

Okay. I stand corrected. All the used diaphragm pumps I've seen were_always_listed as trash pumps, however. I assumed the seller knew what he had.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Is that a type Zero pump not a letter O pump.

Looks like a shallow well pump to me.

Mart> This is a Gorman Rupp "Type O" pump.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I thought that sewer lift stations were either diaphragm pumps, or the compressed air pumps.

By that, I mean a chamber that gravity fills with sewage; and when it is, compressed air is injected until it's empty. These pumps are used in parallel; so one fills while the other is blown dry.

Reply to
David Lesher

The ones I've see are huge centrifugal pumps with grinder impellers, "muffin masters". Even residential septic pumps are centrifugal pumps with grinder impellers, just smaller.

Reply to
Pete C.